Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual flows over...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Aug 21, 2001.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

My Jimmy sounds pretty good right now, it had dual glass packs (blue streaks i think) and it also has the stock, rusted exhaust manifolds. I want to put headers on it, will headers alone make it sound louder.better? I'm also thinking of replacing the glass packs with the flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber. Would those make it sound better? Also how much hp should i get from headers, will i beable to feel the difference?

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The headers will make it louder with the glasspacks, but will also provide a better sound. Headers and Flows sound killer - I've noticed increased throttle response, and a little better seat of the pants with my system - Hedman hedders and 40 series flows on 2.5" pipe.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. anatomiczero

Cool, I think I'll go with the headers first than maybe 40's if i want it even louder. Right now it goes into 1 cat, then splits, should i have 2 cats so it's straight through?

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Definitely go with two cats and true duals if the smog police find it acceptable in your area. A single cat is just a huge bottleneck - I don't have cats on mine at all.

BTW - You need to fill out your profile so we can provide a little more detailed info[​IMG]

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. anatomiczero

OK, filled out my profile. So how much should this cost me? Do I just replace the maifolds and will it bolt right up to my exhaust, or do I have to put some new pipe in? thanks for the help

Oh yea, 1 more thing, should I use an H pipe or just have it come out straight?
    Black 1980 GMC Jimmy
    350-TH350-NP205
    Dual glasspacks<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by anatomiczero on 08/21/01 07:02 PM.</FONT></P>

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Depends if you get block hugger's or full length tri-y's as to if you have to modify the pipes. IMO full length ones are better. The flows will be quieter than the glasspacks but will have more deep tones and the flows will be better at highway speed(ie quieter than the glasspacks at speed)

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

To run a true dual system you'll need new pipe - My system cost just over $300 with headers, mufflers, pipe, and installation. The "H" pipe will help out a little in the low-end, I'd go ahead and do it while you're at it.

Dos mas Tecates!!!

8. anatomiczero

OK, thanks for the help. So I'm thinking of getting:

headers
    another cat
    H pipe from the cats
    new 2.5" pipe (if i need it)
    flowmaster 40's (wondering about these, just want to make sure it sounds awesome)

then take the headers and flowmasters to a shop and have em install it. I have no prob doing it myself, but I would have to drive with open headers and I'm not sure if i would hmm, open headers will sound awesome lol, hmmm but I'm not sure how i'll do the pipes, so I'll prob take it to a shop. Now I have to find a good place, I'm doubting Midas so I'll have to look around.

Black 1980 GMC Jimmy
    350-TH350-NP205
    Dual glasspacks

9. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

I run hooker super comp headers with true dual 40 series flowmaster exuast and its true daul no cats to mufflers right from the headers ......sounds awsome but its not good when its time to smog.....haha

10. anatomiczero

Hmm, no cats, i guess i want to pass emissions so i'll keep em. Does it have a deep tone, set off car alarms?

Black 1980 GMC Jimmy
    350-TH350-NP205
    Dual glasspacks

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I took mine to the muffler shop with open headers - Sounded killer, but I also had every cop in town following me[​IMG], so I never got to have too much fun with it.

Dos mas Tecates!!!

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

When I put my headers and flows on the Jimmy I cut the old pipe off at about the transfer case crossmember and bolted my headers on and used some of that cheap flex pipe to run to my old rusted 2" pipe so I could get to the muffler shop. It sounded pretty redneck going to the muffler shop which was 17 or so miles away. Plus I only had one clean spot on the rig a 12" spot on the windshield to see( Never let friends talk you into mudding when you have a muffler appointment) I bought the 2 camber flowmaster with 2.5" pipe and 3" tips. With a stock 350 this sounded bad @$$, just what I was wanting to hear. I'm going for the same set up on the Willy's but I'll purchase the tail pipe kit from jegs or summit that is made for the truck and route my own. Nothing sounds better then 2 chamber flows.... just my .02

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

13. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Im thinking about adding the headers to my 73. It currently has a leak at the manifold so I figured I'd put on the headers when I changed the gaskets(Makes too much sense). I live pretty close to a muffler shop but I am not sure if they are not open on saturday.

I'd have tp get it done all in the same day.

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Has anyone heard the difference in sound between a set of duals with an "H" crossover pipe versus an "X" crossover pipe?

I remeber reading somewhere that the "X"-style crossover was actually a little more powerful (though probably harder to build) and had a 'unique' sound. I've never heard one, so I don't know if thats BAD or GOOD.

Just curious

-Greg72

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I took my flows and drove to my local Midas with open headers...they did an awsome job! I also have full length headers and true duals with 2 chamber flows and 2 1/2" pipe. It sounds very nice...if you want even louder add some 3" or 3 1/2" boom tubes at the tips.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

16. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Anyone running single-chanber flows? Too loud? I had a very small center inlet-center outlet flowmaster on my last truck (3" in and out) that sounded killer with the megaphone it had, but it was single exhaust.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

17. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

I run dual 2 chamber flowmasters and Hedman torque step heddars and man its loud!!!

350, sm465, NP205, 14 Bolt w/Detroit locker(465 ratio), Dana 60 465, 38.5 swampers

18. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey 77blazer What kind of power increase did you get ?

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

19. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

a giant one! i had just a single exhaust with a cat then i switched to the tork step heddars ditched the cat and went duals! but now i want to add on the X pipe.

350, sm465, NP205, 14 Bolt w/Detroit locker(465 ratio), Dana 60 465, 38.5 swampers

20. anatomiczero

I'm gonna get headers, an H pipe, another cat, then maybe flows. Wouldn't the glasspaks have more power since theyre straight through instaed of going through chambers? I'll have to see what the glasspacks sound paired with headers.

Black 1980 GMC Jimmy
    350-TH350-NP205
    Dual glasspacks