Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual front shocks on a k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrappyk5, Apr 27, 2002.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

for those of you who have the k5 with the optional dual front shocks. do you keep this setup when you put your suspension lifts on?
    i am going with the 4" lift , but wondering if i still need to run
    4 shocks up front.

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I kept mine when I did my first lift. But the ride was harsh. Right before I went from 2.5 to my 4in lift I took one off and it made a world of difference on how my truck rode. I would only put one on if I were you.

3. beachinblazer

beachinblazer Registered Member

I would if i were you. I've got the dual option on an 86 K5 with 4" suspension lift. I opted to only do single shocks and the ride is so much worse with the single, I put dual back on and it makes a difference

4. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" lift and left mine on. I also have sway bar disconnects which really help the ride when wheeling. Lifted blazers and bigger tires need all the firmness they can get on the pavement. Just my opinion..

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a 2.5" lift, and yes, when I lifted it I kept the quad front shacks. The only problem I have seen is they limit travel. I have heard that you can just remove the shorter shock to help out with travel and ride quality. Another problem I had, was my lower shock mount ripped off the axle after I had the new more "offroad oriented" shocks put on from the softer street type shock. I run 2 Dick Cepek Racing Series 77 (or 88, don't remember offhand). I havn't removed the shorter shock, because i do alot of fireroads with washboards, and I am running with no swaybar with a softish 2.5" lift so they help with body sway.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have an '87 with 6'' lift and quad shock. I left all four there because my truck sees a lot of air. I do agree that it rides a little ruffer, but I have RS9000's so I can just put them on a lower setting. Unless you jump your K5 or do a lot of high speed offroading, I would say to save your dollars and only use 1 shock per wheel.