Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual fuel tank questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cuervo, Jan 14, 2004.

1. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

Hey all,

I've got an 83 GMC with dual tanks. The fuel gauge was working fine for about 6 months. Now when I fill up both tanks I have to switch the tanks back and forth a few times to get it read correctly, IE full. Once I drive the truck a few times it goes back to reading about half tank and stays there no matter what. It doesn't matter how far I drive it just reads half tank or so. If I switch the tanks a few times it might move up a 16th of an inch but that's all.

I don't think it is the sending units as it does the same thing no matter which side is selected. I got under the truck and look at the electical switch and wires. It all looks good and the wires are all clean.

So, my next thought is the switch on the dash and if not that it could only be gauge itself. Has anyone work on something like this before and, if so, what did you come up with. I'm open to ideas so please post your thoughts as I'm at my end with it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Thanks!

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds like switch, also first try clenaing all connections electrical and use dieletric grease on them all

i also have an 83 with dual tanks, but i cannot do anything cept use the RH tank because the LH one is severely rotted out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

good luck