Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Fuel ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Orange Crush, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a BBC and the carb does not function as good as I would like on hills,crawling ,bouncing and etc.. Would a dual fuel propane setup help me out? Should I just forget the propane and go with a TBI.www.gotpropane.com has a duel fuel set up for 750 bucks and it is tempting. I emailed them and the guy said that it would run the motor btu it would not be ideal for all out performance. The motor I have now is not built to be a race engine or anything.The cam pulls to about 5500, It has an 850 cfm eldelbrock quadrajet,and headers. It runs on 87 octane.Not a high compression motor . Thanks Eric

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

i am just about done with my truck , and i had tbi , kinda got sick of messing with electronics, was sick of it so i got a carb now ,but if it runs like crap my plan for next mod will be a built motor , and will be runing propane ,for my next fuel set up

3. Orange Crush

Any body else out their with any advice?

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Something I didn't consider when buying propane is the LP storage tanks. A forklift tank is on average 8 gallons and costs about $150. 8 gallons isn't worth it on a fuel sucking V8 as far as I am concerend. I looked into motor fuel tanks and they are a bit pricey and shipping can get pretty expensive on the larger tanks.

The dual fuel kit comes with a selonoid that shuts off the gas supply when you go over to LP so I assume you have to convert it over to an electric fuel pump too.

I say go all propane or none, dual fuel seems like kind of a hastle.

5. bluechevy

bluechevy Newbie

By dual fuel do you mean running propane and also being able to switch back to gas? Because if it is I wouldn't go that way. I'd go one or the other. The engine timing is different for running propane and gas becuase of the different octanes. So when running dual fuel it's set in between to compensate which is where you lose your power. You can get good power if you are set up to only run propane. TBI isn't that bad either it's pretty simple to understand but it's time consuming. You can get a swap manual at www.jagsthatrun.com.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i say this with proper wording. i well built and proper built quadrajet is great off road carb. thay are fussy to get correct but worth it.

propane is priccy. and tbi is great . but if you go tbi best to grab the tbi tanks for the center baffle that holds the fuel at pickup point.

7. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Ive been doing some research on this for my next project

the solonoid works by sending the fuel back to the tank, i can't remember if it was before or after the pump, but you can use the factory pump.

duel setup will "rob" some power only because you have to have to have the timing to work with both gas "84 octane" and propane "110 octane" wher as the propane you can advance the timing.

the tanks are expensive so im just going to run 2 or three forklift tanks-i can get those cheap. the new big tanks can run into the 1k-

check with your states legal issues--here in texas they actually charge you yearly to run propane (in a street legal truck) most states will actually give you a tax break--sometimes even to cover the cost in the first place.

its really a simple setup, i went to a place in Mexico thats all they do. they showed me what works with what and the things you can do.

im definately going to run it--just $$

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i do agree with that statement--BUT---cant do exreme angles and gas is $2.50/gal--where the equilvilant in propane is $1.50

oh and the milage basically stays the same and you temperature should cool off-

9. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

Check out www.propaneguy.com for lots of parts as well as e-bay. I bought all my parts off e-bay minus the tank for under $175. I bought a used forklift tank at a rental shop for $20 and traded a guy a 4 core radiator for the service lines. So for about $200 ( small parts needed ) I got a full propane setup that was new and I didn't pay the $1000 propane.com wanted for the setup I needed. Hope this helps.

10. Orange Crush

Thanks for the info guys. I think That I will go all propane or none.I'm in the process of getting a small block that was tbi rebuilt. I'll get a smaller carb and try on the Big block for now. If I go with the small block I'll make the decision then on propane or tbi. Tbi parts you can buy easily. But if your on the trail and the tbi takes a crap better have a electronicologist with ya. thanks again to all and to the top--Eric