Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual gas Tanks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SS66, Mar 5, 2003.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Anyone know where information about installing dual tanks in a k5 can be found? Ive done extensive searches.. and I havent found much at all.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Where, exactly, are you planning on putting two tanks? There is no room for saddle tanks on a blazer.
    If you manage to find a place for it, it would be pretty easy to mount up the dual tank switch. I have a stock dual tank switch in my cab and I used a switching valve from JC Whitney.
    This is all in my longbed (40 gallon /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
    -- Mike

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

later tonight I can pm you to a how to guide I was going to do this but changed my mind, I also have the duel tank valve if ya want to buy it its new in box was 25.00 sell for 15.00 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone know where information about installing dual tanks in a k5 can be found? Ive done extensive searches.. and I havent found much at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to do it myself but the tanks will be exposed and I didn't like it.
    However on my Jeep wagoneer they fit nicely inside the frame with a body lift.
    The frame width on a blazer is 28" outside to outside.
    On the wag it's 28" inside to inside so they fit tightly and still leave room for a driveshaft.
    You don't really want them outside and exposed do you?

5. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know it's nice to have a lot of gas, but even at 10MPG freeway, thats 310 miles...on a stock rig, why are you looking for so much additional? FWIW my '83 K5 consistently got 17MPG freeway travelling across the country. Even though that MPG is bad compared to a new car, it equals 500+ miles per tank.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but is there another problem that needs resolved to make your gas last longer, or do you just hate filling up? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

The main reason is.. I live in the middle of nowhere.. no gas stations right down the road here

8. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I ran two tanks on a 76 K5. I had a 3" body lift and 5" on the springs. I ran the second tank bolted to the floor section just in front of the stock tank. This was a 20 gal tank out of a chevy monza. There was not a lot of room for driveshaft clearance with the rear stuffed but it never hit.

Mike

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I ran two tanks on a 76 K5. I had a 3" body lift and 5" on the springs. I ran the second tank bolted to the floor section just in front of the stock tank. This was a 20 gal tank out of a chevy monza. There was not a lot of room for driveshaft clearance with the rear stuffed but it never hit.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that can be a viable option, a tank in the middle high enough and the flatter the better.
    20+31=51 that is some serious capacity.
    As much as my single replacement Van tank /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

speaking of that..i have dual tanks on ym truck...but think the switch is broke its liek hanginmg out..i dont think it works...will it only work on one tank or something...i dont even care about the dual tanks really..but i was just wondering..

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

$600 for a tank!??!!! WOW! That hurts.

12. 383Jimmy

383Jimmy Guest

I have dual tanks on my 76 Jimmy. It's a side saddle on the passenger side. It was on there when I bought it. It fills from under the rear wheel well. I can post some pics if anyone is interested.

13. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

It was easy and cheap at the time. It was always fun to pull into a gas station and take up two pumps to fill the truck. The best part was that it allowed my BB Buick to make a regular 500 mile trip in about 6.5 hours give or take a ticket.

Mike

Mike

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It was easy and cheap at the time. It was always fun to pull into a gas station and take up two pumps to fill the truck. The best part was that it allowed my BB Buick to make a regular 500 mile trip in about 6.5 hours give or take a ticket.

Mike

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I was looking into buying some aux. tamks, they would go in place of my rocker boxes on my 72. I would have 3 total tanks and I think they were 15 gal, each.