Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Ignition Coils? Crazy, yes but will it work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Oct 15, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok as college students do I spend most my time in a foggy daze. While driving in this mental haze today, the fog lifted and I had an idea. If I understand the Ignition Coil correctly it holds a massive charge let go when it fires a plug. or something to this matter. The purpose of a MSD box (other than the multi spark) is a heavier more powerful spark. So is there any reason you couldn't wire up two coils (HEI) in parallel and get twice the spark?. or would it only charge each 1/2 way?

someone shine some more light on this idea... I"m sure someone in some back woods hole has already tried this..

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I don't have any first hand experience on how well it works, but I have seen it done many times...

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Uhm, wouldn't you want to run them in series so it'd store more energy? Capacitors you put in parallel and inductors you put in series to get them to add up.

I think if you want more gonads you're better off going with capacitive discharge.

Basically, what happens now, is that the primary coil charges the ignition coil and then when the ignition coil is no longer being charged it releases its energy.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are a few things to consider about Spark,Intensity,duration.Also another factor is fuel type,compression.Flame travel

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok if I remember right one of these is on top of the cap and the other inside right? I'm thinking the one on top of the cap. easier to double up... parallel or series either way. I'm looking for some cheap gonads here. I was thinking parallel becuase if it was in series one would discharge into the other (mental theory, that fog again ya know) I know there's some EE's here somewhere. Come on Greg where ya at, you know a lot on this kind of stuff...

I've got an Accell coil on there now and I have my factory coil. Would they have to match up to do this or could I do it with the 2 different kinds?

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm in my fourth year as an EE student... but this is highschool electronics. I actually learned all this back when I was a freshmen in highschool...

If you want more magnetic energy (voltage or "electromotive force" aka emf) stored in an inductor you put more coils in. You do this by putting the inductors in series.
    Inductance (L) is added in series. Lt=L1+L2

If you want more electric energy (current) in a capacitor you put more surface area in. You do this by putting the capacitors in parallel.
    Capacitance (C) is added in parallel. Ct=C1+C2

If you want more resistance in a resistor you put less doping in. You do this by putting resistors in series.
    Resistance (R) is added in series. Rt=R1+R2

If you put two inductors in parallel:
    Lt=1/((1/L1)+(1/L2))

If you put two capacitors in series:
    Ct=1/((1/C1)+(1/C2))

If you put two resistors in parallel:
    Rt=1/((1/R1)+(1/R2))

I think that's the jest of it. I'm tired. I have a Materials exam I've been studying for.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I can't remember from electronics, but what we call a, "Spark" in the automotive world is nothing mroe than, "Inductive kick". The thing I can't remember is, does more inductance cause a stronger inductive kick? I remember playing with coils and switches and the quicker you flipped the switch, the stronger the kick was.

It might be crazy, but I know damn well that more voltage = stronger kick.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

so if I wire up two of the top coils is it gonna hurt anything inside the cap? also do you think I will see any advantage to doing this?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I doubt you'll hurt anything but I don't think you'll see any benefit.

Either way, from what I hear, swapping to a coil other than the one in the cap will provide a drastic improvement over just using the regular factory in cap coil.

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I've switched to an Accel super coil and bosch platinum plugs. lots of improvement over my autolites and factory coil.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I know you blubies can't post in the 73-91 forum, but do a search in there on Bosch platinums. Those plugs are total trash. I'd get that crap out of my engine ASAP if I were you.

12. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I'll search, but they seem to work better than the autolites I had in there...