Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Monitors?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stickseler, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Ive seen a few pics of people with 2 monitors...why? Im getting a new video card and monnitor soon and want to know...why? and should I do it?? and oh yea...why??

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I run duals at work because I do alot of work with spreadsheets and such. It's nice to be able to have 2 or 3 windows open at a time and not have to keep toggling back and forth. I ran duals at home for awhile but it was a pain in the butt, since alot of games change your resolution when you start them. That screws with stuff sometimes. Now I just run a 24" widescreen monitor at 1900x1200 resolution at home. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Oh OK...

Just a 24" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool!...i run a 20"...its pretty cool..to bad my computer aint workin..

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hey, going from dual 21s to a 24 is tough! You should feel bad for me! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This is my monitor at home -

[​IMG] </font color>

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We have a system at work that runs dual display's for every terminal. One side has a constant program window open running the critical features of the program, and the other side has some other changeable windows of the program open.

In a friend of mine's office, I think everyone has a dual 17" flat panel (at least everyone on thier floor).
    Personally, if you can't run dual flat panels, I don't think the space trade-off is worth the computing benefits of dual CRT (full-size) displays.

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shaggy,
    Where did you get the Sun Monitor?

I'm waiting for the this 24" LCD

Sun Monitor

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You guys do realize you're gettin' up there with TV sizes now, right??

9. 2Dogs

I can't wait to actually hook my PC up to a plasma screen tv!

Bigger than life (*shudder*, some of the stuff I look at might freak me out!)

I have had smaller TV's than the 21" Trinitron monitors I use now....

Hopefully the next step will be scratch-and-sniff monitors. LOL

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Dave, I got the 24" from my work. Some moron opened a bunch of boxes the wrong way and scratched the screens on about 12 of them. We sold most of them on E-bay but the boss-man let some of us have one to use on our home systems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The scratch on mine is only about 3" long and not even noticable most of the time. </font color>

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

buddy of mine has a TV-out card on his computer and he uses his 40" TV as his monitor /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah but the problem there is the tv can't even compare to the quality or resolution of a monitor...

13. 2Dogs

I bet that was something to see! As long as you weren't the moron /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That was cool of him to share the spoils....

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run dual's on work PC too. First ones a 21" and the seconds a 19". Its real nice for multiple windows and whatnot. Easy to set up.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't even know who it was. The department I work in basically gets in all the old equipment and figures out what to do with it. With something like this, we can't send it out because it ends up costing the company, and specifically our department, alot of money. Say we send out a monitor with a big scratch in it. The user says that it's no big deal to him, but then in 6 months that user quits and someone else gets the monitor. I gaurantee they will be calling us saying that their monitor has a big scratch in it and they want a replacement. Since replacements for damaged equipment need to be equal or better quality, that means we need to shell out $1800 from our budget to buy a new one for them. So, in the end it saves money just to ditch the damaged goods in the first place. Usually we sell it, but the department manager is pretty cool about letting us have something cool now and then. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif One of the few benefits of working in this department. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    We sold most of them on E-bay but the boss-man let some of us have one to use on our home systems

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually thinking about bidding on that!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Yeah but the problem there is the tv can't even compare to the quality or resolution of a monitor...

[/ QUOTE ]

An HDTV monitor like I have will, I hook my 47" widescreen HDTV monitor up to my computer, at the moment it doesn't look so great because I only use S-Video, but as soon as I get a VGA to Component adapter the PC is gonna look mighty sweet on the TV.