Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual NP205's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by u2slow, Nov 18, 2002.

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Dual NP205\'s?

Has anyone tried to see if a NP205 output shaft will fit together with a 32-spline NP205 input? I think they're both 32-spline... I guess it depends on the pressure angle.

Just figuring on the feasibility of a dual NP205 setup. Maybe chop off the front output section, or go to a Ford NP205... and then of course there's the married/divorced debate...

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Re: Dual NP205\'s?

I thought the 205 was a 1 section casting unlike the 203.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont even know if the input and output shafts are the same diameter between the two. Almost seems that a coupling sleeve would need to be fabbed along with the adaptor, kind of like what ORD has.

4. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I know it can be done with them divorced, but I dont know about married. Later

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months,enough gas is
    produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

[/ QUOTE ] LOL good fact man!

6. thatK30guy

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i thought about this. i can get a divorced ford 205 for a good price. so i have been thinking about it. i dont see a reason it could not be done.
    i just dotn have the time, or the for axle. but if i did i would. if you are interested in the 205 let me know.
    Grant

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Correct.

I mean taking an NP205 and literally sawing off the portion that houses the front output /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and brazing on a cap. Then mating the male 32-spline rear ouput to the 32-spline female input on a NP205. I would build an adapter to "fill-in" the gap. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm just wondering if anyone had inserted "Tab A" into "Slot B" - so to speak /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I just checked and this will work if you use the right combo of parts!

**NOTE: Everything mentioned below is from various TH400 version GM 205 t-cases**

A tailshaft from a slip yoke 205 will fit the female 32 spline input shaft so that combo works. *Now stay with me this might sound confusing* I don't have a loose short bolt on style tailshaft to try so I tried to put the bolt on yoke onto the long slip yoke shaft (checking spline compatability) and it will not go on it. This means you would have to a slip yoke tailshaft on the front case and, of couse, the rear case would need a 32 spline female input shaft. I would think you'd want to use an early shorter version input shaft in order to make the adaptor between the two as short as possible.

VERY COOL IDEA! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. thatK30guy

Even if this idea would work, you still need to do one of two options to get the necessary driveshaft clearance on the front:

1. Use a Ford 205 after the tranny so the front output will be on the opposite side.
    2. Index the GM 205 by having a custom made adaptor made for it after the tranny. Either turn it up or down (which can/will lose ground clearance) and hope you have enough room for the rear 205 to allow the front shaft to work thru it.

Almost sounds too complicated to get this to work. Just easier to use the 203 because of its range box.

11. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know of a jeep that has done this mod, I will see if I can get in touch with him to see how he did it. I personaly think it isn't worth the trouble. Just use the 203/205 combo unless you just want to be diffrent.

12. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Here is the guy that did it. Goto http://www.sierrarockcrawlers.com/main2.html then click on vhicles and click
    on the second jeep down. He is running a 2wd SM465 also. If he can fit all this under a jeep, then someone
    should be able to do it with a blazer. If you want more info you could probably contact this guy. Hope this helps
    Later -Flexy

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'm not into buying high-buck parts. As good a deal as the ORD Doubler is, my Canuck-buck doesn't go far enough.

As for home-brewing a 203/205 Doubler, the main problem I have is getting the output shaft cut down and re-splined. Sure its do-able, but its one more thing raising the cost.

I HAVE a few 205's - a remote Dodge one (I can't get the yokes off!), a spare long-input one for my '91 crewcab. Just thinking about what I can do with what I got, and the least custom work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

get a chevy 208 hack off and reweld a flange on it and then get a th400 version 205 and then make and adapter .

15. thatK30guy

Thats easier to do with a divorced t-case since you can position the rear t-case in any way that will allow driveshaft clearance.

The trick here is to hook up the 205's together, like the Doubler. Direct case housing to housing.

Using the divorced, or remote, t-case allows you to turn the t-case down for more shaft clearance under the t-case in front of it, if it has the same side front output.

16. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Homemade Doubler.

In Gordon's article he stated that Moser cut and resplined his output shaft for under $100.

17. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Lower axle gears