Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual or Single exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigtank, Jul 13, 2005.

1. bigtank

bigtank Newbie

I have always run duals on my trucks. Man at the local shop said if I went with 3in single It would help pulling power. It makes a little cents. What do ya'll think. I want to go with a magnaflow muffler. I just bought this k5 2 wks ago and am trying to get it bigtankified!

2. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

If you search there is a lot of info on this topic.. There is even the same question asked with in the last few days.. :D

3. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I like 3" single, it perrs more .sounds good

4. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

The guys at magnaflow do say that the single exhaust does help in the torque band. You can check it out on magnaflow.com. We own an exhaust shop, I actutually just put all new exhaust on my 79, I ran a magnaflow dual in dual out cat with 4x9 single offset polished mufflers and out the side at 45's with their 35102 tip, Sounds awesome and looks great. I am more of a dual guy myself, but if you are trying to save money and maybe get a little bit more torque, then single is the way to go. I believe magnaflow also claims you may get slightly better gas mileage. Check out their website, they have lots of information on there

5. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Ya know something, if we were racing 2-stroke engines i could understand all the hype on mufflers, diameters, dual vs single, 4 into 2 into 1, etc etc.

From the hedder flange to the balance pipe the game is over.......................
    the power is made or lost right there.

The most important factors are primary pipe length/diameter, Collector length/design, Equal length primary pipes and a balance pipe to equalize the exhaust pulses and help scavenging

The rest of the sytem should be un-restricted as the 4-cycle engine does not require back-pressure to operate correctly, some restriction can boost low-end torque.........but with a loss to top-end power

End of story

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Intake velocity=torque, correct?

Backpressure=reduced intake velocity, right?

So how can exhaust restriction possibly help power production?

I don't want to become a David Vizard parrot, but he disagrees with you on the equal primary length issue as well.

7. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Where did i say restriction helps power production...... i said some restriction "can" boost low-end torque.

If the primary pipes are not equal length then how is it a tuned hedder...?

i will read that article in the meantime.... :wink1:

8. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Not that it may matter, but you will save some weight with a high flow single to.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used to say dual is the way to go. Now I would say the opposite. My truck has dual exhaust and it is nothing but a PITA now. It was cool at first when my truck wasn't four wheeled real hard.

Once I started wheeling it the system got pretty beat up and is more of an exhaust leak then an exhaust system now. The thing I hate the most though is that it is always in your way. A pipe is always in your way, a cat converter is going out, the mufflers take up alot of space and are in the way of mods and make it hard to work on.

In the near future if money allow I will have a good single 3" exhaust run and turned down before the axle so it is taking up the least amount of space and in the way of less stuff.

Harley

10. dyeager535

You said restriction can boost low end torque. If the setup is designed for the engines operating range, then you shouldn't have to settle for loss of low end, or etc. At least what I'm gathering anymore. One point to make here, I don't believe most dyno's read much under 2000RPM. I want to know what I'm making at about 1500 just for curiosity sake, but most dyno runs I've seen all start at 2K.

Equal primaries are just not that important apparently. A point here is that the longer the tube, the more gentle the bends, which we all know is a +.

I agree on single exhaust if you can run it though. Less overall cost and stuff to get in the way. Duals can be clean, but not as much as half as many parts. :)

11. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

I retract that statement about some restriction possibly boosting low-end torque, after reading the article in depth i find that a properly tuned exhaust with no restriction will boost torque everywhere,
    and distances of 9" or less make little difference in primary pipe length.
    Gentle bends and smooth flowing radius are a big plus as mentioned, I'm kicking myself in the arse for not checking the specs on my hooker Comp's before i ordered them........2.5" collectors :doah:
    Darn that pisses me off because if i feel if something is causing a power loss or not helping to make all the power it possibly can then i gotta fix it.
    (something to do with my chemical imbalance :haha: )
    Anyway i found a replacement hedder that looks promising, it is the Hedman unit, part #69091 with 3" collectors that are longer than usual and has what appears to be relatively smooth flowing bends for $298.oo........tell me what you think about these or feel free to make a suggestion on some different units, money is not really a issue...i just want a highly efficient system.
    I will add collector length to the tune of around 15" on the new hedders since i will have to re-do the exhaust clear back to the balance pipe.

This has been a very informative thread for me and others as well I'm sure,
    thanx for the replies. :wink1:

12. dyeager535

I used the 69890 Hedman's, but I know that some people don't like how far down they hang.

I also am not sure where to check the collector length, at least for Hedman. I've got pictures up, here's a post.