Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Power Steering pumps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hitches31, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Hitches31

Hitches31 Registered Member

I have a 1986 K-5 6.2 diesel with hydo boost and a Milemarker Hydo 10,500 2 speed winch. What I would like to do is use the stock PS to run my steering and Hydro boost and the second p.s to run my winch only. i would be installing a P.S cooler and temp gauge. What I'm looking for is input on using this kind of setup and if anyone has done anything like this before!

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I know people have run dual pump setups for hydroboost and ram assist steering. Don't know about running a hydro winch.

I'd be interested in seeing some pics and ideas too, because I'd like to run the dual pumps for hydroboost/ram assist setup.

3. Hitches31

I'm just thinking of it the pump was running the Hydro-boost, PS and winch, That kind of a large duty for the pump. and not only that but if while winch ( I ) burns up the pump again I would lose some steering and alot of brake presure! My brother H-1 Military ( Golf War) had front and back 10,500 lbs hydro winch! I have removed the AC condencer and was thinking that would be a good spot to install the new P.S pump!

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

It's also possible the winch won't work at capacity if ran with hydroboost. That's the problem with hydroboost and ram assist. Rams want lots of flow more so than pressure. The hyrdoboost unit restricts flow, but they can be "high-flowed" for a price, $280. I would guess that a pto winch will want flow too.

This a thread on pirate with a 2 pump setup. Don't know how much it'll help because it's a serpentine setup. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236132&highlight=pump

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I run two pumps on my 87. I have one in the stock location and one where the air pump used to be. One runs my rear winch and the other the steering and front winch. Eventually I will put a PTO on the truck but for now it works great. I also took a kicker solenoid off of a 6.2 diesel to use for an adjustable high idle setting. I kick the solenoid on and it idles to about 1100 rpm's {adjustable}, it improves on the winch speed without having to hold down the accelerator and going overspeed resulting in dumping fluid out the resevoir.

These pics are kinda crappy but you'll get the idea.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

From direct experience with a hydro MM on a friend's PSD you can't apply the brakes (diesel = hydro-boost) and run the winch at the same time. Something about the MM system won't allow winch operation if there is a steering or brake demand on the PS system. Perhaps it's purely a volume thing, but watching it happen it looked like the MM control valve was purposefully built to work that way.

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

He needs to check his system then. MM's are designed specifically to ALLOW you to apply the brakes and steer while using the winch. He may have a problem with his pump. I have winched while steering my truck out of whatever I have been in several times with no problems.

He might want to check his hose routing as well. If you hook that winch up on a hydra boost system like you would a non hydra boost system it will not work properly. They hook up differantly. If that's not it I would check the pump volume and pressure.

8. Hitches31

Here is what I have mm10500, agr pump, aftermarket PS resevour, valve kit, gauge. there were on my 1991 Jeep Xj before I sold it. so what i'm thinking was to try and use the XJ P.S ( AGR 4.5 gpm) pump on my blazer with out have to buy anything more. I know the XJ pump rotates clock wise. All I would have to do is fab a few brackets for the pump. I would like to keep the Hydro boost system alone. But what I was looking for help is mounting location and bracket mount Ideas!

JEBSR: could you shoot me the pictures because I can't view the picture until
    I can come up with the cash to join this site. Kidbrown1@aol.com

P.S
    I know I will have to pull the pulley og the AGR pump.

9. Hitches31

Next question I can get my hands on a Warn 9.5 T now I'm stuck, should I use the MM or the warn. Please Help make up my mind!

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Put the milemarker on front and the warn on back. I ran mine like that for a long time. It is expensive at first but worth it when your stuck and can't pull yourself out forward. Plus you can use the hydro while under water where as your not supposed to use the electric that way. If the engine dies you can't use the hydro but the electric will save your Arse. Just my opinion though.

11. Hitches31

This is the kindof input I'm looking for.