Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by durantk5, May 1, 2005.

1. durantk5

durantk5 Registered Member

Anyone ever run a dual shackle set up on their k5? Say you have 2 shackles connected to each other on the same end of the leaf spring? ive seen them on jeeps and yotas but never a k5. i know that they will give you more droop but not im not sure about compression. also how much lift would they give you? or do i not want to even attempt to do this? just getting ideas for the build-up this summer. thanks
    Nick

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

its been tried, and most agreed that it just shouldnt be done on a fullsize truck. They can unpredictably load and unload, which be disasterous depending on what kind of conditions your in
    the consensus of most people is just buy longer flexier springs

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Double shackles can and have been done on K5's. There is the Springer/AK57 setup that is a drop bracket design or a true double shackle design. I have seen both in person and wheeled hard. They both work fine with a few quirks that you have to get used to.

If you run a double shackle setup you must make some sort of stop so that the shackle won't invert. The Springer/AK57 setup can't invert because of its design.

Some people say that they shouldn't be run on the street but I know several people who ran Springer Suspensions on there daily driven K5's and K10's for years with no problems. I know another guy who runs his double shackle design on the street to with no problems.

Harley

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Where's my popcorn???? :D

6. margus

margus Registered Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I thought you could help me a bit concerning these az-kickin' style shackles. What year f150 springs are used (don't know much about furds) and approximately how much lift does that give? Also how does it ride compared to stock? I'm thinking of copying it but maybe making the longer arm lockable if you know what i mean.

Thanks
    margus
    @4x4.ee

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used to have double shakles but went back to a single long one. They flexed and all find but I just didn't trust them. With 56s rear and longer shakles flipped it works plenty good.