Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual shock hoop?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, May 20, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am looking to relocate my shocks from behind the front axle to above the axle connected to a hoop attached to the frame. Basically how the new IFS chevys are. Maybe this is like the fords, not to sure. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Here's a an old pic of K5 junkie's blazer with the shocks in the place I like.

[​IMG] PS: sorry for the bluebie question. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the ones ive seen at like 4wpw are expensive, shouldn't be that hard to make. im sure someone near you has a tube bender and welding skils /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    the ones ive seen at like 4wpw are expensive, shouldn't be that hard to make. im sure someone near you has a tube bender and welding skils /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am an excellent welder and a decent fab guy but I would prefer to just buy a "kit" that I can bolt or weld on in a couple hours and get back down to the mall. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifi wonder how these ride ,compaerd to the stock shock angle????????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

A lot of companies offer something like this: Blue Torch

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you run hoops up front Make sure you run a cross brace from hoop to hoop. If you dont you will break the frame and no one like to break frames. Plus they make some bling bling tube clamps that work bitchin for making the cross brace removable.

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    A lot of companies offer something like this: Blue Torch

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats basically what I want but something doesn't look right with the bottom shock mounts, they need to bolt to the spring plate right?

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I think the spring plate is too far under the frame for that. Bolt them to the tube or maybe even knuckle.

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the spring plate is too far under the frame for that. Bolt them to the tube or maybe even knuckle.

[/ QUOTE ]The knuckle pivots, I don't think that would work.

It looks like the bottom mounts have to be mounted front to back on the axle tube for the dual shocks to sit side by side. Basicallt the 2 mounts need to be welded to a piece of flat bar and then welded to the tube long wayz...does that make sence? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You can mount them just behind the Inner C or on the inner C itself. I mounted my Race runners so that they are just behind the inner C. Works pretty good there, when I build the new frame and hoops im going to kick em back a bit so I can swing full travel out of my front end.

[​IMG]

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I was talking about the inner knuckle or "C" for mounting, forgot that you want to mount two shocks though so it wouldn't work anyway.

Maybe T-122 on the tube?
    [​IMG]

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You want your bolts that hold your shocks on running perpendicular to the axle tube. That way as the axle articulates it does not bind the shock mount/bolt/eye.

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

With a leaf spring doesn't the axle move more front to back than side to side? The bolts are parallel from the factory, not to say that means its the best way.

Either way, with 10" springs, he's probably not too worried about the suspension binding. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I mean in a rig that will be flexing down the trail... Your axle is only going to move back about 1-2" at most as the spring flattens out. If your stuffing one tire 36" up you could be putting that bolt in a severe bind. But I agree, on a street rig or mud rig it doesn't matter. I know on mine I had them parallel and killed bushings about every 3 weeks. Switched them to perp. and no more problems and gained a little more suspension droop.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifi wonder how these ride ,compaerd to the stock shock angle????????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All depends on the shock valving and for most people, throwing a couple of shocks on and calling it good is all they know when there is no true understanding of what a shock really does, nor of the valving........

17. rjfguitar

Well what if I welded to shock mounts perpindicular of the axle tube on a piece of flat bar, braced it, and welded it to the axle tubes? I am mainly wondering about the bottom shock mounts, the hoop is simple for the most part. I want to mount the dual shocks side by side at the axle to perpindicular of the axle. Not one in front of the other like stock. (pretend you are looking from the side of the vehicle) I'm not worried about flex much because my 6" pro comp springs are pretty stiff anyways and after the body and chassis gets painted and chromed it will be a PP.

I am also wondering if I can weld 2 more mounts on ther rear axle so I can run dual shocks on each side in the back. Not in a "V" pattern with one in the front and back of the tube but with 2 side by side in the rear on each side. Problem is the stupid gas tank is in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All depends on the shock valving and for most people, throwing a couple of shocks on and calling it good is all they know when there is no true understanding of what a shock really does, nor of the valving........

[/ QUOTE ]
    He didn't ask about shock valving, he asked if there was any ride difference with having the shocks directly above the axle instead of behind it like stock. Assuming using the same shock, which would mean the same valving in both seperate shock positions.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That's suppose to be the most effective use. Plus you have to remember that at stock, the shock is somewhat angled, in this, the shock is straight up therefore the effective valving will be changing also.

20. rjfguitar

So what would you prefer BRB? YOur the shock man around here.