Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual shocks in each tire

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Apr 25, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Has anybody tried or have put dual shocks in each tire and how did it work, I'm thinking of putting duals in each tire or at least the front tires any suggestions.

keep blazin !!!

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Well I guess nobody has done this or they didn't like them right ok.

keep blazin !!!

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have a set I am getting ready to install as soon as I get the susp lift. It looks east to install 2 holes have to be drilled into the frame, that is the only tough thing..and it isnt even that tough. I bought them from macromotive.com and they were only like 44$ for the dual setup ( shocks not included) they are pro comp brand I would reccomend them.
    Brent

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I have dual shocks on every corner of my Blazer. Thats one of the reasons I bought it...looked really cool and my friends didn't have duals. lol When I put my lift on next month, I'm going to just stick to one shock per wheel. But the extra mounts will still be there, so if I change my mind, I can add more later.
    Its not necessary for me to have dual shocks. It really depends on how and where you drive. Why do you want them?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I'll tell you the truth 73 I love the way they look and also I could use the extra shock for when i go off-roading, and like you said none of the guys around my area have duals so I'll be rollin you know, I'll think about it I really want them.

keep blazin !!!

6. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Guy that had my rig before me had duals up front when he lifted it. They're not using an extra bracket, just a longer bolt up top & on the bottom. I don't recommend this s/u and will eventually install the secondary bracket someone else mentioned. I highly recommend the Trailmaster SSV shocks though.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

7. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey Mr. Red I have Rancho 5000s all around I love the way they perform so I was thinking of going Rancho duals all around.

keep blazin !!!

8. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I am running a triple setup in the front with Procomp ES3000's. I love it. I only have the singles in the back, but i hope to have duals in the back soon.

9. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I'm running dual RS500 all the way around. They work greeat for the way I beat my blazer. I plan on changingout to a set of kuster coilovers 1 day.

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Having one extra shock at each corner will make them last longer due to the fact that adding a shock will drastically reduce shock temperatures so less wear will occur.

.Riz.

It's always fun till someone losses an eye....then it's just blind fun.

11. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Look a few pages back & there is a post on shocks. Many folk like the Rancho5K but just as many thought it was way too stiff. You'll also see @ least 3 posts (1=mine) about the SSV's. My neighbor runs a 4X shop & recommended the Trailmaster SSV's. They also have a lifetime warranty. Do the Ranchos have that?

Give it some thought
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Is there a bolt on for adding dual shocks in the rear? I cant find one...also I think dual shocks in the front are good because thats the end that comes down first and it usually comes down hard!!

13. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    IMO:
    Rancho RS5's <font color=red>S U C K</font color=red>. I have them on my truck, those with the rancho softrides, my truck rides like a pos. I'm planning on new springs ASAP. Shocks also. If I could suggest anything, DO NOT GET RANCHO 5's!!!!! They are junk, they suck, they don't work any better than stock junk, and they suck. Did I mention they suck? If not, <font color=red> T H E Y S U C K </font color=red>

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

14. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

umm, im going out on a limb here, but i dont think that corey likes rancho 5's. or at least thats how it seems to me.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well I think you might be right shaggyk5?
    Not to sure?? [​IMG][​IMG]
    too funny!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

16. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I have RS500's all the way around my truck. To be honest, I don't like them that much either. They are pretty damn stiff. But I wouldn't say THEY SUCK, but they aint great. Next stop will probably be RS 9000's.
    Boss

17. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Well for me I really like my Ranchos I guess cause I haven't tried any other kind but when my Ranchos are gone I'll give the trail masters a try and see how they work for me.

keep blazin !!!

18. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

Hey Corey...Don't beat around the bush!!!! Tell us how you REALLY feel!!!

19. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Here’s my opinion on a dual setup. Take it for what it’s worth (grain of salt)…

Rough Ride-
    I use to run dual shocks in the front until recently. The K5 seem to ride much stiffer with a dual setup (yes I purchased the shocks that were designed for a dual setup). As soon as I took the second shock off, it really helped. Maybe it was Ranchos fault… eh Corey!

Dual Kits-
    The stock GM dual setup sucks! They have to mount that shorter shock mount on the frame and this limits your flex. Another dual setup is Ranchos dual kit. This setup is worthless since it puts the bracket way down and now you’re running 2 shorter shorter shocks. Then we have the Rancho triple setup. Even though you don’t have to run a triple setup and can run longer shocks but you have to hack the fenderwell to make this fit. I doubt it will fit with a crossover steering setup.

Articulation-
    Most rock crawlers you see only run one shock at each wheel. Why? Because they’re not doing 100mph+ in the Baja. Sometimes a dual setup will hinder articulation.

Cost-
    6 shocks is bad enough but 8 would be expensive.

It’s true the dual setup will help with heat and fading in high speed bumps but for what I want my Blazer to do (which is flex) I’m sticking with a single. I just purchased Rancho 9000 shocks (9012 longest shocks made) and will be installing longer brackets to improve my RTI. I'll also be running a Rancho in-cab controller.

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com