Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual shocks out... I think... Cellular or nitro shocks then??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dale_gribble, Oct 23, 2006.

1. dale_gribble

dale_gribble Registered Member

I did a search on dual shocks here... Seems like the general conclusion was that dual shocks just rode too rough and were designed for a time when the shock technology was not as good as it is now. However, I don't think a single cellular shock is gonna give me the street manners I want.

I installed a front swaybar on my 88 burb this weekend as I am trying to get better street/tow handling (at the expense of extreme off-road capability, which is ok with me), but I didn't even help the spongy effect of the truck over uneven road surfaces. When I hit a bump or uneven surface, the suspension feels vague and kind of soft and sloppy- like a truck with shot shocks would.

The burb has a BDS 6" setup with one of their standard cellular shocks on each corner right now, with <5,000 miles on the kit and shocks.

Since it sounds like 4 shocks up front is just a bad idea, will a single nitrogen charged shock on each corner give this truck better street manners and give it a firmer feel?

I want it to feel firm and predictable for heavy towing and on the highway. So, any input would be very appreciated. I am leaning towards 4 nitro charged shocks right now with the assumption that these would get me closer to my goal.

2. dale_gribble

I am just going with Bilsteins and be done with it. No more screwing around. I have never heard a single bad thing about those shocks. From what I have read, they will get my truck exactly where I want it.

3. dale_gribble

This is what I came up with-

I used Procomp's site to research the extended/compressed shock sizes, this is what I came up with to cross-reference to bilstein parts.

Front (outer only) Extended/Compressed 27.07/15.94

Rear Extended/Compressed 29.83/17.32

BE5-A465-H7 (eye/eye)
    Bilstein Front (5125)- 255/70 valving Extended/Compressed 28.01/17.00

BE5-6249-H5 (eye/eye)
    Bilstein Rear (5125)- 255/70 valving Extended/Compressed 29.70/17.91

The rear is almost dead on, the Bilstein front is slightly longer, but I don't plan on bottoming them out ever. The truck would probably run out of travel before the shock ran out of it's 11" of travel. I hope... I had better check my bump stops to be totally sure.

I will follow up when I get them ordered and installed.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

After having the Rancho 9000's on 2 of my vehicles, I will never do anything else.
    You can change the stiffnes everyday if you choose so, and they are not that expensive.
    I had both my K5 and my waggy as DD/week end crawler and I was able to do that with these shocks.
    :D

5. dale_gribble

Hmmm... The Rancho 9000X for the sizes I need are $90 a piece on Summitracing.com. Rancho doesn't even have the RS-9000 listed in their catalog anymore.

So, either you might be in for sticker shock when you buy your next set, or $90 a shock is not that expensive to you. I am getting the Bilsteins for $75 a piece. Still pricey though... My local 4wd shop has them in stock. It's so nice having Jackit right up the road from me. I would personally rather have a well valved shock then something I have to dial in for my driving intent.

6. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

I run the Rancho 9000x with the remote control and no sway bar, awsome:bow:

Rancho RS9000X Nine-Speed®
    Adjustable Shock Absorber
    The ultimate shock absorber

[​IMG]

Sam's Price $74.65 Each to Purchase One Shock

Save money by buying a set of Four RS9000X Shocks

Sam's Price $289.95
    Delivered !
    Sams Offroad

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bilstiens are 10 times the shock that the Rancho's are. Monotube shocks are so much better than any of the gimmick shocks IMO. I've had my fill of Rancho crap (rebadged monroe junk)

Rene

8. dale_gribble

Bilsteins are in... Truck felt MUCH more solid this morning, but I am exhausted. I was up until 1am last night bolting them in (along with doing a few other things to the truck- unscrewing a 4wpw goofup, but that's another story altogether).

It takes a lot once those shocks are uncompressed to try and compress them to get them in the shock mounts. I am a pretty big guy and I had to lay on my back and push up to get them in.

There is a sharp turn on the way to work, and the feeling was pretty amazing. Rather then the lazy feeling, it felt solid.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well they had the buy 3 get 1 free but yes the price was $90 for one.
    I wouldn't say they are cheap but I think they are worth it.
    And Rene, I would never say that Bilsteins are not better shocks, any monotube is better than a triple or double tube and Bilsteins are the best OEM manufacturer for shocks, but for my situation double duty an adjustable is the way to go and Rancho's are the best that I have found in this category.