Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual shocks STOCK?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MountainMan, Oct 16, 2000.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

my buddy says that some Silverado's come with dual front shocks, stock. is that true?

MountainMan Johnson
    86 K5

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah...so???

ken

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Yeah. I think it's part of the Silverado package or some other package that gave you many nice features.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, my Silverado has dual front shocks.

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

5. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

hmmmmm.... i didnt know that, so i am wondering if i should go get the brackets off an old one or if i should just look at an after market kit? any thought?

MountainMan Johnson
    86 K5

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Leave them off, they're useless unless you're banzaiing thru Baja at high speeds. I had stock duals on my '90 Sub and removed one shock after getting beaten to death with two shocks for years. Besides, the lower shock mounts tend to break off in time when you use the factory dual shocks. I should know, mine broke 3 times while I had the duals. No more!

ken

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have factory dual shocks on my 89 K5 Silverado and like them a lot.I do a lot of 4 wheeling. Just got back from putting on 200 miles all off road,lot of it in FWD, on my Blazer. never had any problems and I think the ride is much better than single shocks. I'm running rancho 5000s for shocks.

8. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

I agree with Ken. My '91 blazer (scottsdale) has the dual shock option with rancho 9000's. I run them at softest setting and will probably take one off soon. High speed over rough terrain they might make sense because the heat generated would be dissipated into two shock instead on just one. Yes, they get hot when worked hard. For normal driving or typical trail (slow) driving I don't think multiple shocks are much help at all.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they don't really help much. I think they started putting them in around '82.

90K5

10. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Well, I dont know if they work well, or not, but I can tell you that you can buy all the brackets and bolts and mounts for it from an LMC catolog for around 30 bucks. I am planning to do it sometime just becuase I like the dual look better.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

They came stock on my 82. After reading these posts I think I'll pull two of them off to check out the difference.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I took 1 shock off and didn't like the way it handled. But I do drive fast on the dirt. Many dirt roads around where I live are 50mph + roads. I think nothing of taking a 100 mile ride in the dirt. I could drive to Las Vegas(450mi) and never see a paved road. So dual shocks work well for me. Besides they look good

13. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My 87 came with dual front shocks. Rides alot better with single shocks. This is an option on all 1/2 ton models not sure about 3/4 ton trucks and subs.