Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual shocks up front...yes, no, maybe?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Feb 26, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i am thinkin about putting dual shocks up front..any pros and cons i should know about?
    thanx /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Pro - they look real cool when you're crawling curbs at the mall.

Con - they generally ride like crap and cost twice as much to replace.

If you do it right and get shocks that are valved for a dual shock application then it will ride OK, but it still comes down to whether you need duals or not. If you are doing desert racing or something along those lines then there is a benefit, but for the majority of situations, even with really big tires, there is no point other than for the looks of it. If you want to do it just for the looks then that's fine, just get the shocks that are valved for the applications.</font>

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

sounds ok, well i dont do desert racing, i have a diesel so its slow...haha, but if it rides rough i dont think i'll get them, my neighbor has a Jimmy w/ duals and he doesnt like em'... thanx for the help

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...my dual shock brackets are hanging on the wall... TOO STIFF.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

After I put my winch on my dual shock setup feels pretty good, before the added weight of the winch it was too stiff.

Put them on and you will have an excuse to buy a winch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

I have dual shocks on my Jimmy.... The shocks are toast. Do I have to change the mounts or can I only mount 1 shock in the dual mount? and which mount should I use if possible?

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah Id like to know the same thing, can I just take one of the shocks off each side and leave the brackets the way they are?

8. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

i've tried 2 ways on mine..
    1sts was taking an old set and draining the fluid out of 'em (kept the look, lost the stiffness), and that worked OK for a while. BUshings got worn, so went to option 2.
    Left them (actual working ones)in the factory single shock location and trashed the 2nd.
    Much smoother/softer ride now. Think i had to change the lower bolt (shorter), but don't remember without going and looking at it. (i miss my memory!!!)

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

with modern shock technology dual shocks really arent necessary unless u r a desert racer hittin whoops at 70 mph etc. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i took mine off a while back, havent missed em.

j

10. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

If you run a snow plow, they make a difference, if not, they just look cool and ride rough.

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

has anyone tryed running duals with RS9000's I was thinking if you ran them all the way soft it probably wouldent be to bad

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you do remove one, remove the inner one. It is shorter. You want the longer shock on there so you have less limitations on flex. I have also dented my inside shocks on the leaf springs so the can get in the way of things in there.

13. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Why buy 6 shocks, when you can buy four and adjust them to where you want them anyway. I have quad shocks on my sub. but I will be going to just one on each side up front when I get my Bilstein's. You only need four if you have a plow, winch, really heavy front bumper, or a fishing cooler out front. If you don't have extra weight then all four are not neccesary. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I've got dual RS9000s in my 71 with pretty soft Alcans. I run em all on 2 and like it way better than the single RS9000 setup I had before. I get much less sway with them and dont find the ride harsh in the least with the soft springs.

Until I went to duals I thought I'd have to add a sway bar to stop wetting my pants on high speed turns.

Guess it depends on your particular setup: spring rate, weight, etc. I'm happy with duals on my junk.

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've got quad shocks. I'll be eliminating two of them when I switch axles.

They came on "plow package" vehicles and were common on diesels for some reason even without the plow package. I don't know why.

I kind of like mine. It's stiff but I don't have the pogo-stick front end my friend has with single Ranchos. I can also let the front of my truck fall off something and not bottom or have it try to launch into orbit on the rebound. I don't have those "oscillations" you get with tired out single shocks even though my dual shocks are tired.

If you do decide to go quad shock make sure you get the right "auxilary" shocks. They have a different dampening rate than the main shock (which is also the single shock type). If you run two main shocks on each side then it'll be so stiff you might as well put pipe in for shocks.

When I lift my truck and put the new axles underneath it I'm going with single shocks. It isn't really necessary to have quad shocks unless you've got 400lbs hanging out in front of your bumper.