Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual shocks vs Single Shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, May 20, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Ok, well after talkin to Blazen91 for a while, i was wondering, would there be any disadvantage from going from dual shocks all around, to single shocks all around? This is my daily driver and i would like a little smoother of a ride.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It can't hurt to take them off and try it. It shouldn't take long and you will be able to tell right away. Personally I don't see the need for dual shocks.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the help with both posts.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the help with both posts. Mike (Blazen91) Said the shocks might be set up to work together, like each one might be a little softer than usual so that with two it works better. How would i tell about this?

5. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

The advantages of dual shocks come out when doing a lot faster driving on rough terrain, similiar to pre-runner trucks. It spreads the load over two shocks which keeps their temperatures down so they dont handly sloppy when they heat up. One of the 4x4 magazines did a test a while back and they say dual shocks dont necessarily ride rougher like most people used to say, but the only way to be sure is to test this yourself. Single shocks are normally enough in my opinion though.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

7. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I run dual 9000's on my front end to help with the extra weight, but have never had the need for them on the rear with the 6" spring kit I've got. The Rancho's are adjustable so I tone them down to get better street ride and stiffen them on the trail so my tires don't rub. The single 9000's work well for the rear.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It is going to be a bit harder to do with all the new dents I have...funny I bet he thinks my Blazer is as much a waste of a truck as I think his is?

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dual shocks were a good thing to have back in the old days when shock technology was pretty pathetic. These days, one shock at each corner should be plenty for most peeps.

J