Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Shocks

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 16, 2001.

I am planning on running dual shocks all the way around my 72 blazer. I want to get a good shock for a reasonable amount. I have a 6" lift that I will be putting on once I get the shocks. What brand should I get. Remember I am going to have to buy 8 of them.
  1. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Oct 25, 2000
    I would put the lift on first so you could measure the distance between the shock mounts and get the right length shocks. Every lift verys a little and it's hard to tell what shock is right without measuring inless you get them as a kit from one manufacturer with the lift. About what brand of shock, I would go with singles and get the Rancho RS9000. That wasy you could adjust the shock to your liking and would be able to get 4 really good shocks for the same price as 8 so so shocks that make your ride stiff. Just my opinion.

See Ya,

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]
  2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Mar 6, 2001
    My hunting partner put a set of RS9000s on his '72 with a 4" Skyjacker Soft-Ride lift. The thing wallows around like it needs more shock (even with the shocks set on full-firm). It has reasonable compression damping, but the rebound damping is nearly non-existant. He's called Rancho and they say he's got some other problem (lessee... All new springs, new tie rod ends, new suspension bushings, new drag link and ends, new ball joints, new wheel bearings, new shocks). He's planning on dumping his 9000s for something stiffer (I should note that he has a bad back and a harsh ride would hurt his back, but this ride is so billowy-soft that it hurts his back) and/or going dual. I should note also that the lack of damping makes the thing hard to control.

I've been looking into shocks, and the Explorer Pro-Comps look pretty reasonable. Rancho RS5000s are also reasonably priced. I am planning a similar lift to my hunting partner's and was thinking of using 9000s all around with 5000s as a dual setup. That way, I'd have some adjustability and won't have that horribly mushy ride.