Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88GLAZER, Feb 12, 2003.

1. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

If I tow a lot, should I get dual rear shocks, if so how about the front. Also I was told that dual shocks help with bucking or bouncing motion when going over dips, bumps or little hills, or is it just do that due to the short wheelbase. Right now my girlfrient cant even drive in my truck because it makes her sick. What could I do to improve the ride.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Find a new girlfriend that dosen't get sick. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/k

I thought have dual shocks up front stiffend the ride to much, don't know about the rear.

3. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

A lot of the bucking is just the short wheelbase. If it were me, I would try stiffer single shocks before I went to all the trouble of welding on another set. The main reason to run dual shocks is to reduce fade from aeration and the heat that builds up with heavy use(such as high speed offroad/desert racing type use).

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

You dont necesarily have to weld the dual shock kits on, mine from racho, i THINK (been awhile), is a bolt on affair. All you hafta do is drill one hole per bracket, and another hole on my frame matched up. I also added dual shock to the rear. I like how it rides but some people think its too rough.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how does the dual shock rear work? The front shocks are easy and you prolly paid too much for the bracketry. Blazers and other model chevys/gmcs came with dual shocks as part of snow plow prep. Just have to get the factory brackets and bolt them up or dril and bolt.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Well the front brackets were like 30-ish i wanna say. Rear were made by trailmaster, and what it is, is another bracket on the bottom of your axle, that mounts on one side around the factory bracket, and loops under the axle and has another bottom shock mount on the other side of the axle. (im on cold medicine so this probably makes no sense) Then around the tube you weld it. Then at the top all you do is drill a hole and put a stud in it. If you really wanna see if respond and ill try to take some pics of it tomorow after school and get em up on my site.

7. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

id be interested in pics please. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, ill try to get some pics up of both front and rear tomorow about 430ish est, theyll be in the "my truck now 2" album.

9. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

cool, many thanks.

10. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Dual shocks will only make the truck ride rougher.I wouldnt use dual shocks unless you do alot of high speed offroading.Where you need extra dampening.As far as towing if you tow alot of wieght you could look into airbags or overload springs.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

pics should be showing within the hr