Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual snorkel air cleaner

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85k5blzr, Mar 28, 2001.

1. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about buying a K&N air filter. I was wondering if i would benefit even more by getting an Olds dual snorkel air cleaner and running dual snorkels to the front since there is even space for one on the driver side or would it not benefit me much at all? If so, what year olds air cleaners work best?

85 k5 blazer with an old 305....must have more power! [​IMG]

2. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

sorry, new at this stuff, but i would guess that the extra air flow through the K&N would supply a descent boost in performance?

3. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

The more air flow the better...you may see some inprovement in power and maby some in gas mileage...but hea that sounds like a cool Idea...that is if it's not to expensive?

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"

4. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

What i have heard you can do, and saw an article somewhere about it, is you can take an Olds dual snorkel air cleaner, put it in place of the K5's and get an aditional plastic hose and run it to the other side. If you look under the hood, you can see a place where you can just knock out a little metal piece and put another splash guard in. Everything can be found at a junkyard.

5. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I used a dual snorkle air cleaner from a late 70s Corvette. It you have ac, you might have some clearance problems. I had to add a small spacer between the air cleaner and carb so that the second snorkle would clear the ac lines.

DJ
    78 K5

6. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

Did you notice any difference when you added it?

7. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Don't us an air filter that's exposed if you like mud and lots of water. Use the stock filters set up or get a snorkel.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Camaro one out of the mid-late 80's is going to be easier to find. problem is that they are not a high "capacity" air cleaner, like some of the trucks got in the 80's. The car air cleaners were all very "short". My take on that would be that off the line, the taller air cleaner has more available right at the carb/tbi unit. There is no problem getting air through the small snorkel that way, since there is enough in the cleaner housing.

Cut off the snorkel from another truck air cleaner (cars take a different size hose anyway) and rivet or weld it to your existing truck air cleaner. (obviously open the hole up!) Use the SAME type of hose that the passenger side uses, and punch out the "hose adapter" from the drivers side of the core support.(used on the straight sixes) Surprise surprise, the adapter that fits int eh core support is the same for both sides. Your done, can have working thermac, and uses all stock, readily available parts.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

9. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

Can you tell a difference in performance afterwards? I'm just wondering if it is worth it.

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.shelby.net/mgervin/dualsnor.htm>http://www.shelby.net/mgervin/dualsnor.htm</A>

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not without going to the track or testing it on a dyno. I can sure hear the secondaries more though : )

It's too easy to do, and a proven benefit, no matter how small, to not be worth it.
    Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

12. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

now i just wonder if i am going to pass insepection.....haha

thanks for all the info

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The master cylinder gets in the way of the second opening so you have to place it just right. I have the huge 5" air cleaner and I'm doing the same thing. It can be done but I've just heard of most guys cutting a section out of the cleaner and welding in the second piece. Thats what I'm doing anyways, a good fit because its custom made.

[​IMG]