Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Sports Motorcycles.. klr 650 anyone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by camiswelding, Jun 14, 2006.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I love my new drifter cruiser....it rides better than my harley ever did/// Im bit... I just went to motorcyle school and I loved every second of it

Im thinking about a second bike.. a dual sport...big bore
    Anyone ride a klr 650? Id love to know more about it from an owner...

Honda used to make a transalp but they have kind of given up the dual sports... the have their 600 but it really isnt setup for bags or touring...

Im not interested in the beemer... too exotic..too snobby... so is the ktm.. cant get parts in backwoods america...
    anyone ride any other big bore dual sport that I should consider?

cam

2. cycologic

cycologic Registered Member

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's a real good place to start

Don't know how good the KLR forum is since I never go in there, but from everything else I have seen of the website, you may be able to get some good opinions.

I've only known one person with a KLR and he liked it. There was one for sale here in town not too long ago, but there's no way in hell I would even check it out or even buy it, the owner was selling it to pay legal bills:D

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

as long as the numbers match..
    and he doesnt have youtr address,,,,

maybe crime DOESNT pay

thanks for the linkys men

5. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a Trail-Glide! :wink1:

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Cant you still get a honda XR650 thats ready to ride on the street from the factory??? I think one from the big 4 jap companies you be happy. I used to race mx for years, had Suzuki's and Honda's and loved everyone of them.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yes, they still make the L model. In fact, right now is a good time to pick up an '06 cause they jacked the prices on the '07 models. But like Cam said, he wants something a little more street friendly. Even though the L model is street legal, it seems to be a detuned R model with the street stuff while the KLR seems more designed for the street.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have been riding big bore dirt bikes and dual sports all my life. I have ridden a KLR 650 they are a good bike. But I like the Suzuki DR 650s far better. They are better off road IMO. But still ride great on the road.
    The KLR is more of a road machine that you can ride off road.
    The Suzuki DR weighs a little less and has more suspention travel than the KLR.
    If you want even better performance off road but still be streat legal. I dont think you can beat a Honda 650 XL. I used to have one and loved it It was like riding a magic carpet off road. They have something like 13" of ground clearance. Plenty of power. They are more of a dirt bike with lights.
    I like the dual sports from Japan better than the euro bikes. They cost less. parts are easier to get and cheaper. And I think they just look better.
    [​IMG]

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Have ya ever messed around with KTM bikes? Never heard much bad about them and people rave about them.

I think I'm pretty much settled on a 650R myself. I'll either kit it for the street, or find one that's already been converted. I've been thinking about doing some low level, totally unmotivated racing with it......................:D

11. cycologic

cycologic Registered Member

I'm sold on KTM. I've owned Yamaha's and (yikes!) a Can-Am, but the most impressive to me was the Katoom 300 EXC. I have since lost the bike to theft, but still relish the fun that bike brought me. I'm eyeballing a dual-sport now and considered a BMW, but I guess I'm prissy and will stick to KTM. I'm looking to regain some adventure. Parts in a remote location? FedEx. That is part of adventure anyways, isn't it?

12. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

13. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah alot of people like KTM mx bikes, but I havent really seen too many of the dual sports. Out of the dual sports I mostly see XR's and DR's, in fact the 5.0 around here have DR's. BTW, have you ever seen an enduro race? Man at my mx races, at some of the tracks that had trails too, I used to watch those, and I think they are more crazy than mx riders. Those trails get soo rough, its insane. Also all this talk about dirtbikes, Im going to Budds Creek (my hometown track) to watch the Pro mx race on Sunday, cant wait I havent been in like 2 years.