Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual-T case Adaptor done on the cheap....First Update...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Nov 18, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I'm currently installing my motor and driveline into my K5, and I wanted to finish my Dual T case adaptor before I have to cut new driveshafts.

I started with:

1 TH400 NP203 Style
    1 TH400 NP205 Style
    1 NP205 for TH400
    2 NP203's for TH400
    1 TH400 -> NP203 Factory Adaptor Plate
    1 TH400 -> NP205 Factory Adaptor Plate

I took the measurments off the face of the 205 factory adaptor, and recreated the face onto a 3/8" plate. I then cut a 3/8" plate for the NP203 side, andcut the retaining ring for the aluminum housing that retains the 203's intermediate shaft and bearings. I also cut the slot for the anti-rotator shaft into this plate.

I called WMS, and they quoted me $60 for machining the factory shaft down to the spec's I require.

So far, for a dual Transfer case adaptor, I've spent $20 on steel, and will spend 60 on resplining. The intermediate shaft may not be *quite* as strong as the ORD solid shaft, but I'd say a Dual Transfer case adaptor for $80 wasn't a bad deal! The adaptor plate will be 3" Face to face. Bear in mind, I don't have to pay for labour, because I'm trading my labour (Aluminum TIG welding) for their machinework.

I'll post pics as I get them coming. It isnt the prettiest sob, but it will certinally get the job done. I plan to replace the welded 3/8" version with a solid aluminum job like the ORD's once I find how my tolerances worked out for me.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

so when is ur version going to market? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

3. dhdescender

I'm going to look into production costs....can't say If I will go that route or not yet. I'll talk to the machinist who produces my bike products and see what he thinks for cost.

4. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

How is this coming along got pics yet?

5. dhdescender

I've moved onto billet aluminum adaptors with 10 center holes to allow many clocking locations.

[​IMG] This is my TH400 To NP203 adaptor. I can also use it as one side of my NP203 to NP203 adaptor. I'm not going to bother with two range boxes, because I installed my own 3:1 kit into my NP203.

I'll post pics of the original adaptor, but I've already started to CNC the new one...which is much more entertaining.

[​IMG]

Once I get my shaft back from WMS, I'm taking it to a local gear shop and getting copies made out of solid stock and then hardening it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Thats nice,
    Im doing the 205/203 and have been thinking abought getting the shaft from some one and then making the rest of the adaptor but I havent had a lot of luck finding good pics of the adaptors to use to figure it all out.If only I new some one close but with one to look at It doesnt seam like they would be that hard to make in the steel vertion.

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, that looks like a nice job. You do realize that if you were to build a gen 1 type of doubler setup (ie 10 spline stuff) you would sell a bunch of em as long as the price didnt include research and developement costs for the last 10 years. I would be very interested in a setup for a 10 spline sm465 to a 203/ 205 t cases. That would be awesome... if the price was decent.
    You should take a poll on the different demands for the setups and see the reactions. Id figure there would be lots...

Keep it up!

Mike

8. dhdescender

I'm just going to have to pick up a 27 and 10 spline input and see If I can fit it all in 3", I have a feeling it may be a bit longer. But I can just add a spacer between each adaptor...easy as Pie!