Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual Tail Pipe Tips Placement GOT PICS???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foxman, Dec 1, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Alright guys, Just Got the Dual Mufflers and ordered the Headers, now All I gotta do is decide where I want the 3.5 in chrome echo cans to come out at. looking for Ideas. I do have Reese Hitch and 4" lift springs/Stock Bumper. I was looking to do something other than the standars straight out the back. Anything else look killer? Pic would be greatly appreciated (gotta know for sure before I have my guy bend/weld all the pipes).

Thanx

Jeremy

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

mine used to come out at 90s behind the rear wheels and point out the sides..i hated it, i cut it off and now i just have mufflers on the end of some pipe exiting under the bed until i can afford to have my 2.5" put on and dumps over the rear axle..

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Here's how I have mine. (It's just the standard exit-out-the-back duals) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif If I had to do it over again, I'd skip the chrome tips (they're rusting and look like crap) and exit out both sides just before the tires. Why before the tires? I live in Wisconsin, and having the pipes before the tires should lower the amount of salt (and mud when offroading) thrown on them.

For a unique, and cool, idea...search for the username Nofeartruckin00 - he's got single exhaust exiting out of the upper-rear corner of his driver's side rear wheel well. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Edit:
    Here's the pic of Tony's (nofeartruckin00) setup.

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I have mine out the sides behind the tire, I have only had it this way for about a month- a month and a halfBUt I like it. I can roll my back window down and not get gassed, My only compliant is I have to shut the truck off at drive throughs becuase it echos off the building.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine exit at 90s behind the tires. I wouldn't have it any other way.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i got mine comin out at a 45 in front of the tire [​IMG] I got one comin out both sides

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Here is a pic of mine.

[​IMG]

It's run just like that on the other side. I had it run up high to get it out of the rocks. You could run it straight out instead of having the tips turned down. I used to run the exhaust out in front of the tires, but I had to get it re-run when I went to the bigger tires. Not to mention, it's a little quiter run out the back compared with it coming out right behind your ear.

BIGJ

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

k20...how close is that exhaust to the gas tank? i had a guy tell me he wouldnt do it because it would be too close to the tank like that...

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

theres about 2 1/2 to 3" clearance between the two, ive put my hand between the tank and the tip before and its not that hot honestly. If you get a competent pipe bender he can make it work. If my tips were a bit shorter i could have tucked them up and back some more, but as they are they are almost hitting my rear spring hangars. Its safe in my mind, if i had any doubts i would change it.

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

11. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] did a search in the member's rides for 'cheap chrome tips' and this came up /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    the pipes aren't crooked, it's the bumper

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

first image is what i have now
    last image is what i did have
    the last one...rear exiting rounded 2inch chrome tips...looks classy, not too showy, but they are out there...i didnt like them cause whenever i got something out of the back i got black rings on my pants

the side exits i have now, i like that cause flying by cars with glasspacks makes for some entertaining reactions /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the side exits i have now, i like that cause flying by cars with glasspacks makes for some entertaining reactions /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly why I wouldn't have it any other way. When I was in HS this was especially entertaining. I got the scumbag manager that fired me from my job at 0630 and 4,000 RPM in 2nd gear one day. It was GREAT!

14. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Does anyone run dual aftermarket cats?

I have that pancake style and I had to re-route my crossover and I dont like it hanging down. I was thinking about running dual cats and dual mufflers and eliminate the front crossover.

15. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

can't get into your pics, (says forbidden) What do they look like?

Thanx.

Jeremy

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Oops, sorry about that. They should be fixed now. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Nice pics, I like...
    I was thinking maybe strait out the back at an angle towards the ground, kind of looking like they are coming from up in the bed... anybody seen these?

thanks

Jeremy

18. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Best thing to do that has a look like your describing is turn-downs. You can get chrome tips that are only a couple inches long, and they turn 90 degrees, so you can point them straight down.
    Putting tips in the rear is a bad choice if you wheel a lot (another reason why I'd change mine to exit in front of the rear tires if I had the chance) because you'll eventually smash them. So, your idea of "coming out of the bed" could be cool, but not very practical. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have them dumped right behind the axle. This helps give it a deeper more agressive tone, especially with the 5" tips. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My junk. Not dual, but has dual exit pipes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]