Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual tank valve/solenoid???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Feb 7, 2003.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

OK, I went out to the store yesterday and switched tanks on my way there. As I turned in my truck just died with no warning. Tried to restart (normally it fires right up if it stalls) and it just sat there and cranked... Was getting pissed and started looking to see it power wire fell off of the HEI. Everything looked normal.

I got the bright idea to switch the tanks. With in 2 seconds of cranking if fired right up /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

When I hit the switch, I hear a small "groan", so I dont think the switch is bad.

Could the "valve" be bad????

2. BlackDog714

Anyone experienced this before?

3. BlackDog714

Am I in the wrong forum? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Have patience... Most of us have K5's and/or Suburbans, so we don't have a tank selector to deal with. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Someone with a dual tank pickup will come along and see this post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BlackDog714

Yeah, I know /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Its just driving me nuts! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I just want my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif to run and drive. Is that asking too much of it???

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

yes they die all the time.
    easy to test.
    first test for power to the valve

7. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

If I were to list the most unreliable part of an 80's GM pickup, this would be close if not at the top.

If the whine happens immediately without a short delay, the switch is probably bad (shouldn't be too noisy while switching, just when pushing after the switch).

The only plus side is that the switch also switches the fuel tank sender wiring. If you see the needle switch, it should be switched over.

Could still be not quite making it all the way or plugged on the one side, though.

You didn't mention the year... if you have 87 or newer, could be your fuel pump in the tank is out (although I would expect the stall would be virtually immediate).

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

These things die all the time.My Crew cab's is dead.I just run on the right tank all the time.JC Whitney has a aftermarket set up for cheap.I need to order one.I have though about just putting in a Sub or Blazer tank though.Would make it easier to fill up.Brady