Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual tanks for CUCV Truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was thinking about what it would take to get dual tanks going on my M1008 CUCV diesel. My best idea right now is to install the second tank, then just plumb it up so I can use an electric fuel pump to transfer fuel to the main tank. In the cab I'd just need a switch to turn on the pump, plus a cheapo fuel gauge for the second tank - or possibly a switch to use the existing gauge and switch between sending unit signals.

The things I haven't figured out are:

1) How to deal with the filler for the second tank without hacking the sheet metal.

2) Which pump to use. Needs to be self-priming and good for diesel.

3) How to get the fuel into the second tank, like exactly where to plumb it in. I can't remember exactly what's available on the sending unit.

4) How to source the brackets to mount the tank. Would the same L-brackets from the driver's side work? Anyone know if the frame is pre-drilled?

Comments?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tanks = same

brackets = same

tee fitting in to filler vent will work.

could use a left sender if needed. as its only for transfer.

any basic fuel pump would work i would think for transfer.

i just did this on my project. easy to do. and the holes are in the frame also.

but the filler location is going to be the fun one. mine is a flat bed so i dont need to figure this one out.

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Well your Idea sounds good mastiff but Ive got an idea that you might like, just thought id tell ya. On alot of Semis and other big trucks I have been around. Both tanks have seperate filler necks/caps. But they are simply plumbed together. A 1 inch fuel line running from one tank over to the other. Only one sending unit because for the most part the tanks stay balanced with each other. I dont know if this will be a trail rig or a tow rig for you but either way you could just make another crossmember and run the line through there. The only real hard part that I can see would be plumbing the tanks themselves.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Just fyi on the brackets: they are technically the same but the weldnuts are in a different location on the front one.

I have an entire tank setup (tank, brackets, bolts, straps, sender) that I'll sell ya cheap. :D

goldwing2000@comcast.net

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll buy the brackets if you want to sell them separately. I won't get to this for a long time and don't want to store the other stuff.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That's cool. Shoot me an e-mail and we'll haggle out a price. :waytogo:

Is your current tank left side or right side?