Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual tanks line vents into air and i have broken eye end of one of the rear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 15, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i learned today on the 83 that the tanks are vented into the air with a short piece of hose on one of the outlets of sending units, and have one of those plastic valves on the end of it to prevent water from entering, valve like on trannies and axles.

also i noticed that on my driver side rear leaf pack that the front most end of the main leaf that is the eye is halfway broken and missing, so the main leaf end is just sitting under the bushing just by the weight of the truck

the rear packs are completely junk haha

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on my 83 k10 the vent ran to the charcole canister. and on my 83 k20 they run somewhere else, because there are no lines going to the canister, so it is probably the same as yours /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I donj't get that. If that is correct, how is water VAPOR (humid air) prevented from getting into the tank and rotting it out?

If you let moist air in the tank (even keeping it low a lot apparently will do this) the sender tends to rust pretty badly from what I've seen. Perhaps it was stock (I should check the parts manual I guess) but it seems odd for them to use one of those simple caps in such an "important" place.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sender wasnt rusted but the tank is completely rotted out junk scrap, i have no charcoal emissions and stuff, all i have is AIR, i dont even have EGR from factor,y its an 83 C6P 8600 GVW K20 so they were emissions exempt cept air, not a cat converter either, so i guess EPA said it was ok to vent fuel into air per GVW rating, it was like this in 71 72 also when the fuel tank fuems collection system first started being implemented, the 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons vented into special fumes collection piece(forgot technical name now) up in the pass side cab corner, and the 1 tons didnt

how are the fuel fumes from a 1 ton tank safer than 3/4 and 1/2 ton fumes haha, EPA and Gov't dont make much sense when it comes to emissions and junk. its all a conspiracy to get rid of old cars and to get more money from us haha

oh and the 70 and older sending units do have a problem of rusting up bad, soemtimes rusting so bad they break, this wa sback when tanks were vented into air directly at the filler neck

also the plastic valve in the vent lines prevents water form entering the line and into the tank through sender, cant do anything abotu humidity though, i dont think GM cared too much about moisture problems, just look at how well they didnt paint the underside of cabsa and backside and inside of parts.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All trucks had cats after 1980, period.