Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dual tanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jul 30, 2006.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

in my 89 V3500 is there one filter or two? Towing to BF last week it died on the left tank after about 40 miles. I pulled over and it started back up fine. Ran great for about 20 more miles, and died again. This time it wouldn't start back up though. The exhaust runs near the left tank so I though maybe I had a vapor lock issue. Switched tanks and it drove fine the rest of the way. After it cooled i removed the cap and tried it again...no joy:confused: I have about 12 gallons of gold in there I would like to use:D

Filter or pump..or???

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dual tanks..?

It could be the fuel selector valve not switching properly,letting only a limited amount of gas to get thru before it runs out--those valves screw up a lot..

..I'm not sure if the tanks have separate filters (other than the "sock" in the tank pickup tube..:crazy:

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm almost positive my 89 has only one filter, which is located on the passenger side frame rail.

If I was to make a guess, I would say that the fuel pump in that tank died.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Just 1 filter, Id put money on the pump. On the passenger side of the firewall, there is the fuel pump relay. There is a short red wire, with a flatblade connector on the end of it. Hook a wire from that connector to the positive post of the battery. That will force the fuel pumps to run, put the switch onto the right tank, let it run, listen to it to get an idea for how it should sound.

Then switch to the left pump and listen to it. Mine was making a high pitched screaming when it died, and the fuel pressure was about 2psi instead of 14

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah it's the pump. I laid underneath it yesterday, and used the remote start. You can hear the pump come on in the pass side, but not the driver side.:crazy:

Ohh what fun