Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual tanks

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69blazergirl, Jul 30, 2001.

1. 69blazergirl

69blazergirl Registered Member

Has anyone put a 2nd tank in their 69-72 Blazer? I have heard you can use a saddle tank from a truck, but have never actually seen it done. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I have seen saddle tanks on first gens. It seems you have to cut a hole in the body for the fill spout, and the tank ends up outside of the frame. This was a safety concern in some pickups. I have a 38 gallon tank in my jimmy, I think that is the way to go.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I heard of a company that makes custom 35 gallon tanks for our trucks. I'm putting in a 31 gallon tank from an 87-91 K5 because I need the electronic fuel pump to use the Camaro fuel injection. How many gallons is your tank? Mine is suposed to be 21 but the hole is at about 19 gallons. </font color=blue>

4. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

Before I started my restoration, my Jimmy had a 2nd tank in the back, just behind the rear fender. It had a toggle switch and required another filler spout on the passenger side. I took the tank out and had that hole welded in when I had my body done. I never used the tank but I'd imagine it held around 10 gallons. I still have the thing if anyone is interested. I'm more than willing to give it away.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

5. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I'm interested! You have mail.

6. 69blazergirl

69blazergirl Registered Member

Did you buy the 38 gal tank or did it come out of something else?

7. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

My JIMMY had the 38 gal tank in it when I bought it. It looks like an after market tank made for the vehicle by the way it fits in. J C Whitney Carries a similar one for the first gen application, but it is a little over $400.00.

8. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

i have three tanks two are in the cab behind the fender wells, and one under in the back w\ a skid guard on it. I'm in the proccess of making a tool box + air tank of one of the tanks in the cab. The other tank i'm gonna use just for back up gas so i don't need to make any special holders for a jerry can.

see if you can do that gorege bush. ha!