Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual timing chains

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, May 7, 2006.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

my old 350 had one timing chain, but i went with duals on the reman that i picked up, friday. will my old cover fit over them? i would check, but that cover isn't coming anywhere near my shiny (if grey can be shiny) new engine until i've thoroughly degrimed it. it got a little nasty on the old engine.

also, i like the flat grey look, but how about a white engine, to match the truck? i don't think i've ever seen a white one.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

A double roller chain will usually fit under the stock cover, But check your block clearance on the back side of chain. I had a 350 with a double that contacted the block and wore down the face of the block, dropping metal shavings into the pan. I found it when the Oil pressure dropped and I pulled the engine out. Not all block castings are the same, so clearance should always be checked. paint it any color you like!! I had a yellow engine in a yellow camaro, but I prefer "satin":D black!!

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i have to say, i've never actually seen the timing set contact the block. stange. something i'll be sure to check for, though.

i think white would look dingy really fast, after the first day of mud. i really like the bare metal look it's sporting from the reman shop. but i don't want it to rust up or anything.

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

clearcoat :confused::D

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

paint..

Then you'd like "Cast-Blast" paint by Seymour...it looks just like freshly sandblasted iron..I think they make engine heat resistant version of it..we used tons of it on antique restorations..:crazy:

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The best color to paint an engine is black because it helps to draw the heat outward and help slightly with cooling.