Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m j, May 20, 2003.

1. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

opinions please.

using a 2wdr 465 for the A box makes the length a few inches longer then a 4x4 A box.
    you gain spline count and availability of good condition mainshafts.
    I think 2wdr 465s should be dirt cheap and plentiful.

what is more important length or strength+availability?

I would also like some schooling as to spline types vs application.
    can I use the 2wdr mainshaft spline in this application?

thank you for responses

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

On a full size, no question for me, use the 2WD. That's what I was planning before I lost the opportunity for my machinest friend to make the parts. <sigh> Only diff is I was thinking Th400/465/205 which would have been longer still...

I have no clue on the spline types.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My concern would be the smallish input gear and 10 spline output on the 'B' box. The 'A' box is only going to see 'regular' duty, whereas the 'B' box is going to see some compounded torque...up to 6.55 times engine torque at the input./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Cameron Carlson, the fellow who brought us the 'Chainlink', has an M-151 Mutt that he entered in the TTC way back in it's infancy. He has two of the stock trannys back to back on that kritter. Has not experienced a trans failure, but tRustyK5's concern is a valid one.

If you've got the room why not look into a Brown-Lipe aux trans ?

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so if I spend the $ to get a small batch of input gears made with 32 or 35 spline female, how many people would be interested?
    how long do you think it would take to sell 5 or 10 to recoup the cost?
    better to just hack one together for myself and let it lie?

7. BadDog

Hmmm, hard to say without numbers. If I had not already jumped into a doubler, I might have been interested in buying a 32 spline female input for a 465, but it would also need a 32 (or 31) spline output to go into a 205. I wouldn't want to use the 10 spline with that much torque. And the late 32 spline output would be far too long.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the guy useing 10 spline couplers between trannies had to go to rockwells as he was breaking 60s
    I think the 10 spline is pretty tough
    is the ORD replacement 32 spline any shorter then factory mainshafts?
    that was more wy I would contemplate 32 not your auto dream /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. BadDog

You talking about the 32 spline range box output? Yes, it is shorter than the stock 203 range box output. But what would that have to do with your stacked 465s?

Aw shucks, and here I thought you were doing that for me... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif But hey, a 32 spline female input would be half the battle, I'll take what I can get... if I ever get back to doing something like that.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

he claimed to have 32 spline 465 mainshafts in 10 spline + coupler length to allow 32 spline 203 or 205 behind a 465 with the origonal 10 spline adapter.
    wow that was a mouthful

11. BadDog

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that too... Seems like he said he was working on it, but not ready, IIRC... Wow, that would be both shafts right there, if you do a 32 in, he has a 32 out, the only other requirements to put a 465 between a 400 and a 205 would be the adapters, and they could be made like a Gen1 with machined plates welded with tube between them...

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

well you would still need a 400 case strong enough to survive that much wieght hanging off it

the machinists I talked with said it is easier for them to machine a single piece rather then true 2 plates welded style

13. BadDog

I think a set of relatively stiff motor mounts, with soft mounts on both adapters, one mount on front just to support the weight, and 2 mounts a foot or so apart on the second adapter to handle tortional inertial loads from being thrown around. Basically, the same thing I'm planning for the doubler. Shouldn't be all that much different, unless I'm missing something...

If it were done by a competent machinist on a full mill, yeah, I can see it would be easier to set it up once per side and that's it. But the welded plate adapters could be made on a good drill press, again, unless I'm missing something. The front bearing on the 465 should be enough to support the output shaft on the TH400, so no bearing needed there. And you have fully supporting bearing on both sides of the 465/205 (especially easy if you use a round pattern 205). Only thing I see as tricky (really needs a mill) is the locating hole in the center of each plate. But that's a much smaller/easier job than milling down a big, expensive block of high strength aluminum alloy and dealing with all the bolt issues. Getting it true and keeping it true when welding offsets things a bit the other way though... Again, am I missing something?

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think the bolt holes are easy to do.
    as everything indexes off the bearings or bearing retainers the bolt holes can be rather rough (of course I am talking my project not yours)
    If I do not find a local machinist that I trust I am going to try and beg Atron guys to make the adapter for me.