Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual x-over exhaust?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pregate, Sep 5, 2000.

1. pregate

pregate Registered Member

i was recently reading in an offroad magazine that dual crossover exhaust offers the most horsepower improvement for any general type of exhaust system

and im aware that due to the catalytic converter the sound wont be made much louder (booo..) but it will, minorly

but, anyone else have this done?
    opinions on other kids of systems?

my mechanic quoted me at about $230 + tax (250 or so total) for a flowmaster dual crossover

1979 K5 Blazer
    4x4, 350 V8

2. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

76GMCJimmyinAZ Registered Member

I'm not quite sure what the smog laws are in your state, but I believe that if your truck has a catalytic converter on it, you can't do a "true" dual w/ crossover setup, unless you add a second cat converter to the other side of the exhaust system... I believe the popular setup on pollution-controlled trucks is a "cat-back" dual exhaust... meaning the two banks tie together, run through the cat converter, then y into a dual setup and go through the mufflers and to the rear of the truck. Since your dual exhaust is coming from one tube, I don't quite see what big advantage there is to having the crossover. I had it explained to me when I had my dual setup installed, and since I have no cat converter, the crossover is the only point where both sides are tied together, equalizing the back pressure for the most power, or something like that...

GUZZLES GAS BUT IT'S FREE AND CLEAR!!!

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I know someone that built true dual with high-flow cats that were made for a 4 cylinder. They're small enough that they would fit under a K5 better than the stock one does. He said it works great (passes the sniffer).

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org