Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dualling batteries?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Jun 8, 2005.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I needed some more juice from my optima a couple days ago, after relocating it to the rear of the rig. I hooked it up in parrallel to a new Duralast Gold battery I had from Auto Zone. The batteries are the same power within 5 amps (the optima being lesser). Am I going to hurt either battery until I can get another optima for my setup?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If you are not getting enough power after moving your battery, then I think you need to go to larger battery cables. To me, the second battery is just a band aid. I run 2 different batteries in my dual setup, no idea what their ratings are, had them, so I used them. So far no ill effects.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I know alot of guys will say they have to be same size same age. Speaking from experience, I put in a second battery into a truck I had along time ago. Now it was approximately the same size. Different brand and way different age. They lasted for the life(my ownership) of the truck. Never had a wink of trouble from them. That being said, I may be lucky, ususally not. I do agree with 3 on the tree though. If you are having a noticeable loss its probably cable size and length that is killing you. Did you run longer ground cables also? I've seen a few guys try to use the frame as a ground cable and it just doesn't work for that length.

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I actually didn't have my battery relocation completed so all of my grounds weren't finished yet (had the body to frame ground disconnected under the hood). I also used a lot of positive cable since I still need to finish my floor and move the battery back a little more. Both batteries are just band-aids for now, but when they are finished I'll still be using two batteries. As far as my cables go, they are 0-gauge and my ground does go to the frame.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

When you get your batterys all situated to where they will be run your ground cable to one of the bolts that holds the starter itself on. Made a huge difference for me. I did this and didn't have the battery in the back, still factory location.

Current flows better through wires with multiple conductors. That being the case the frame, block, and sheetmetal doesn't make for very good wires.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Also, the various welds etc. in a frame are high resistance points. OK to use the frame for a ground, but I'd run at least a ground cable to the engine as well.

7. liv24wheel

liv24wheel Registered Member

What are the hookups for running a bettery in sequence, + to + and - to -? Isnt there also a way to turn the batteries into a 24v system?

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

2 12v batteries hooked in series are 24v. +to - +to -

9. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you run two batteries of different age, grade, CCA, etc., the system will only be as strong as the weekest battery. Yes, they may both lats a long time, but performance wise, the weekest of the two will be the determiner. Compare it to a drive shaft with two new u-joints, one being a very strong and expensive joint and the other one a Schucks cheap-o. The drive-line is only as good as the cheap-o u-joint. You get the point I'm sure.

10. liv24wheel

liv24wheel Registered Member

So if I am trying to accomplish a simple dual batter setup I just run the batteries + to + -to - right?

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

yes. that is 12v batteries in parallel, giving you 12v and increased CCA and reserve capacity. and like AKbigsub said, best to use equivalent battery size and age. But even better to use 2 new identical batteries.