Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dually 14FF GURU HELP NEEDED...This is pissin me off !!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Aug 11, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

My buddy brings me his dually flatbed with the rear brakes on fire /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I strip it down and the damn thing was low on fluid, overloaded, and started to cook, melted the seal and vuala, the fire got fed.

anyways, I replaced the brakes, machined the drums perty, emeryclothed the spindles so there were NO burs to hang up on, and then got to the drums, all the bearings were shot. so I replaced the bearings and races. Before you have to ask, YES THIER SEATED all the way. I go to put the drum on and it goes all but 1/4-3/8 inch.... On the other side the back of the drum sits flush with the backing plate but this side dosent, and it wasnt like that before /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I took it off & on 50 times and cant find the #@!&*%&$# problem /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

so before you ask
    -yes the spindles are smooth and the bearings are NOT hanging up
    -yes the new races are seated all the way in position
    -yes the shoes are same width as the old ones..

question
    -does the outer bearing taper inwards or outwards when in position? I made sure it was installed the same way as the other side, with the taper going inwards.

Stumped,
    Rob

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    does the outer bearing taper inwards or outwards when in position? I made sure it was installed the same way as the other side, with the taper going inwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be your problem. The smaller outer bearing is supposed to have the bearing race taper pointing outwards with the large flat side of the race seated against the retaining ring. I hope you are using a brass punch for this job

1. Place the outer bearing, with the taper pointing inward, into the hub

2. Install the outer bearing race with the taper pointing outwards

3. Make sure the bearing race is installed just a little passed the retaining ring groove

4. Install outer bearing race retaining ring with long handle needle nose pliers

5. Make sure retaining ring is locked completely into retaining ring groove

6. Push outer bearing race back against the retaining ring, and seat firmly

When I say "outwards" I mean pointing away from the brake shoes and backing plates.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

6. Push outer bearing race back against the retaining ring, and seat firmly

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the easiest one to miss. What are the chances you got the wrong bearing? Just a hair smaller would make a huge difference and its probably something you wouldn't notice. Hope you get it figured out.

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ah ha! I didnt know i needed to push it back against the retainer, the rest is correct /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll try that & see, Im tryig to save my roofer / buddy a new rearend and get $$ taken off my bill /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif