Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dually Blazer?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mikee, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

I have been pondering on the idea of making my Blazer a dually. I don't know if anyone has ever done this, and I know I have never seen one. The only problem I see is that the spring perches are narrower on the dually, and because there is no room on the axle, I will have to move the springs on the frame. Possible, I don't know. If anyone has ever attempted this I would really appreciate the insight.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd like to see pics of that. I though of a duelie Blazer also. Duelies in back and up front would be wild.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've seen an older dually Surburban running around this area for a while. I don't know if it came from the factory like it is or if he converted it. It's got dually axles front/rear, and it looks good. It even has the dually fenders on the side in the back. I'd drive it.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen a dually Suburban, only thing that looked cheesy about it was the gas door. The flares that were used (dunno if stock flares or not) went right into the gas door area, so the filler door was "bent" to match the contour of the body/flare where they came together, and it didn't look real good.

Dually K5 seems kind of pointless except for the unique factor, but I guess traction wouldn't be too bad if you could keep the rear planted.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

There was SOMEONE here who had a dually blazer....I remember their picture up in the readers rides section...this was a long time ago...like a couple of years ago. Im too lazy to search for it, but I know I seen one here..the dude posted a couple of times about it too.............

7. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

there was a dually blazer,about a 78-79 in land-o-lakes florida for a long time.it sat in front of a buisness there.it was a toy,they use to bog it.looked like it had 39.5 tsl's on it.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Good grief. How do you steer it? That would need some serious fender trim to steer duals.

But I'm pretty sure you could make your blazer a dually. Swap in a dually rear, obviously. I don't think the tires would hit. The second tire is basically just outside of the existing tire is. Then you would just pop some dually flares on and paint it. Could be more to it than that...

But there wouldn't be much point without putting in heavy duty rear springs to up the load-carrying capacity. Still wouldn't two as good as a factory dually, because they all have longer wheelbases.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have seen a dually blazer in one of my 4wheel magazines, I will try and find it, this might take a while though.
    Personnaly, I thought about it, then dropped it because all the trails I want to go to are already to narrow for my K5 so I am going with 8" wheels instead of 10" and I am removing the outer skin of the body.
    But if you don't have that problem, go for it, it's not really that hard, if you need advice I will help.
    IceMan

11. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

I'm actually not that worried about the looks of the truck, I was just concerned how I would move the springs on the frame of the truck itself. The blazer has 40" between spring perches and a dually only has 38". The problem is that the dually rear end is narrower than a regular 14FF, and there is no room to move the perches out because the drum is right there. If anyone has ever tried replacing a wheel cylinder in a dually they know what I mean. Therefore I would have to move the springs in 1" on both sides of the truck. I think all it would entail is putting the dually springs and frame brackets on, but I'm not sure. The whole reason I am thinking about doing this is for traction. I plow this truck very hard, and I need to be able to really freight it and have traction. I have a K30 4x4 dump truck, and a K30 pickup as well which plow commercial lots like crazy, but I have to switch to the blazer when I want to plow residential driveways. The dumptruck is far to long and has to many blind spots to back out onto snow covered roads, and the pickup is also just a little too long to do a good job most of the time. The blazer is nice and short, and comforatable to plow in for 30 or 40 hrs. The only downfall is traction. It's pushing an eight foot blade, and when it get 20" of snow in front of it it's all done. I allready have 3/4ton axles with 4.56 gears and a locker in the back. I also replaced the 700r4 with a TH400. I can throw a few thousand pounds of bricks or something in the back, but there is still 2 tires for traction. A buddy of mine just stripped a dump truck and said I could have the axles out of it for free, so I was hoping to put them in the blazer if possible. I figured the truck would look a little funny, but could plow just about anything. If I installed dumptruck springs as well I could easily load 2 tons into the back and plow my heart out. It's just a thought, I'll do some more research and let you guys know how I make out. Thanks for the help.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have been looking at a dually that my friend has, I haven't measured anything yet, but I saw that the frame is actually thicker, and higher than the 3/4 and 1/2 tons, I will check for measurements and let you know if you can just get the hangers and bolt them to your frame or if it will take more work, All I know is I have seen it done but never got a real close look at it.
    IceMan

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

If you're looking for a solution for plowing traction I really think you're barking up the wrong tree with the dually idea (IMHO). I would invest in some good ice radials, try add some counterweight to the rear, and if I had the coin, maybe a TruTrac diff up front. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

there's a black dullie blazer running around here, i'll get some photos if i ever see it parked. i pass it every day on the road going to school.

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Ok Here it is:
    The difference between the spring pads on the dually and the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton single is 2.5 inches.
    When looking at the frame the springs looked closer to the frame so after measuring they are 1.25 inches closer. Then looking at the dually axle, there is a 5 inch space next to the pad.
    So you have two options: either you move the pads and use your blazer as it is that way you can put it back if you wanted easier.
    Or you could do it right and swap hangers, it's not easy but it will look really cool, what you need to do is grind out the rivets (and you need a dodnor dually frame, maybe the same truck the axle is coming out of?) and bolt the new hanger with grade eight bolts. then you can use any spring you want.
    As for traction, I would use chains with weights in the back if it's icy, or the skinny 38.5/11/15 boggers if you have enough room to stuff this much rubber and a locker if you don't have it.
    Hope this helps.
    IceMan

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

iceman is right, 1/2 and 3/4 ton are 42.5" center and 1 ton are 40" and the pre-73 4x4 and the old Longhorns were 40" also. I never knew the 4x4 were changed in 73 to 42.5" til i got under my 79 and measured, pleasant suprise in that it means that a 14 bolt 2wd axle will bolt right on in place of the 12 bolt /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif couldnt do that in 72-older cept on the 4x2 trucks..

also you could always fit on dually wheels right on a single wheel full floater.. ill probably try and do that on the 79 if i can get 8- lug swapped on up front,.
    you have a few options yet, you need a tape measure and paper for now to make plans and keep track of it all.

good luck

17. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Why would someone want to have dually's on the front??? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

18. inaminute5150

inaminute5150 Registered Member

Yes it has been done At least here in cali!seen a few cruising around the area.

19. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The cover of this months 4WHEEL DRIVE &Sport Utility Mag. has a dualied Samurai, front and rear.

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i meant just on front