Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dually Blazer???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure if we've ever discussed this before, but here goes..........Has anyone ever thought of putting a dually rear axle on their Blazer? I have a chance to get one off a buddy's 83 1 ton that he's taking to the wrecker. I'm not sure what kind of diff it has, but it has to be tougher than my 10-bolt. The ghost rear fenders he has are in pretty good shape, and could probably be repainted and installed on my truck with minimal effort. My main concerns are -

1. Would it be worth it? Like would it give me any advantages over a single wheel axle?(I use my Blazer to tow a trailer during the summer, so it might help for that use)

and 2. Is there any other reason that I'm not aware of why it would be unwise to try? I personally think it would look pretty beefy, and at the very least, unique........

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I have seen many dually Suburbans. There is a kit you can buy to convert them that comes with the fenders, rims and wheel spacers for about $1500. I personally think a dually burban would be the ultimate pulling rig. As for the dually blazer, I would only convert it if all you do is tow a trailer with it. It would look mean though!

David 75K5
    http://www.goldrush.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

3. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Oh hell yeah! I'm not the only guy who's thought of this.

Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.

4. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

i think short bed dually looks funny so if you do this to a blazer it would look really funny
    just my opinoin

[​IMG] SMP

5. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have seen one. It was in a very very very old issue of FourWheeler. Maybe 5 or more years ago. I will try and look for it. SOme guy out west blew like 3 or 4 rear ends towing and wheeling so he swapped on in. It looked good. THe blazer was a tan color, had a nice lift and some mud tires on it. They were skinny and tall. I remember he had a few problems making the lift fit correctly, picking the right tires and wheels with the correct back spacing and a few other problems, possibly the output/input of axle and x-case. The tuck was decked out with tons of lights (i remmber it had dual police style spot lights) and a huge pintail hitch in the rear. ANyone else remeber this issue?? I am 24 years old now, I am sure I read about this beofore I was able to drive (legally).

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

6. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

That would be one wide ass blazer. Have fun fitting down trails.

Doug Krebs

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've seen that issue. Was going to try and dig up some other old info, I'll look for that too and try to scan it tommorrow.

[​IMG]

8. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

cool idea, mock one up on photoshop and see how it looks....
    Mrivan

Ford people put ketchup on their ice cream........

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Bone85

I've got that issue. It's in storage right now but I'll check my index to see if I can find the issue date.

I have toyed with the idea of a dually Blazer myself. I was thinking if I could pick up a spare one for cheap & rebuild it myself, I'd have a second axle to swap in when towing!!

Brian
    89KBlazer

10. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

CanmoreK5,
    I've heard from a few different people, that dualies suck in the snow and mud. Something you might want to consider.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

There is nothing better than a dually for towing, but along with a dually you need WHEELBASE! Without wheelbase, the benefits of a dually for towing won't be realized. There is nothing better for towing large heavy objects (over 6,000 lbs.) than with a dually crewcab. I tow with both my dually crewcab and suburban, and the difference is night and day. As for a dually blazer, they look kinda funky IMHO, but to each his own.

ken

12. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I too have pictured this, so I'm glad I'm not the only one with these wild ideas. Personally, I think it would look soooo killer! One major draw back would be the added weight. If you can get the pieces cheap or free from your friend, I say go for it. And if later you don't like it you can always swap back. I guarantee your rig would be the talk of the town. Go for it, I'm dying just thinking about.[​IMG]
    Another thing, don't forget to put the semi lights on top of the roof like they do on duallys!!!!!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

13. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

I had one until 3 years ago. See my profile for the specs. It rocked. The tires are easy to do, as follows:
    Front, regular TSL Swamper 33x12.50/15
    Rear 9/34-16 TSL Swampers.
    This works because the 33s for the front are actually 33.7" tall, and the rears are 33.8". Mine had a 14-bolt rear, a 6" lift and a 454 under the hood. It rocked. I sold it when I moved (shouldn't have, now regret it).

I plan to recreate the thing as soon as I get my next Blazer. This time, it will have a 383 instead of a big-block, and will have an 8-bolt front axle so I can use one of the dually rims as a spare if I have to (my previous truck still had the 6-lug 44 up front).

I found it had the advantage of putting the rear tires on virgin ground when off-roading, making for better traction. It also gripped real well in mud. It was way easier to stay out of ruts on narrow trails. If you do this, use the rear end from a 3/4 ton, as the 1-ton spring perches are in the wrong place and won't fit. You will need the wheel spacers from Arrowcraft or some similar place, as well as full dually fenders, as the wheel wells are not deep enough to accomodate the wheels without that spacer. Also, consider upgrading to the hydro-boost system off a 1-ton for your brakes, as the huge drums in the rear will be more effective. Contact me directly if you have more questions. You can leave a message here or mail me at littlepig@keepandbeararms.com.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Are yall talking about something similar to this???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Daaaaaammmmmmnnn!!!! Hey Paul, do you need an more proof? The paint job is little out-dated, but that thing is a beast! Imagine if it were full convertible!!!

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

HOLY JUMPIN'!!!!!! That does look pretty trick, eh? Thanks to everyone for helping me out with all the info, especially LittlePig. I don't have a line on a 3/4 ton rearend, so I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open.

And thanks for the awesome scan job, Laketex!!!!!

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

No problemo hoss, I've got a computer class and all we do is mess around with adobe anyways. Hope to Help,

Bryan

[​IMG]

18. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

That's it. Now, give it a screaming yellow paint job, the front clip from a 77 GMC, lose most of the lights, and change the front tires to 33x12.5 on regular (non-dually) rims, and you have my truck.

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

19. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

THATS "Sweet"! would you need to do anything with the engine?

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

20. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Paul,
    Don't pass up that one ton rear just yet. You can always relocate the perches...
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/perch/
    My opnion, if you're buddy is offering the parts to you and if you have the room, pick them up. You might regret it later. How does this sound: one ton dually rear end, Dana 60 front, 454, TH400, NP 205...... a One Ton K5![​IMG]