Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dually Burban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by T-ROY, Nov 2, 2004.

1. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

SO...
    After a few years of waiting for the perfect deal to come along, I am finally going to build my dually Burban. What I have now is a fairly solid 78 Burb. It started out as a $1200 1/2 ton 4x4. I swapped in 3/4 ton axles (4.10:1 44/14ff) and haven't worked on it in a long time. I made the deal the other day to get a 76 Chev 1 ton crew cab dually 2wd pickup. My freind bought it for the motor, so it is missing motor/trans. Everything else is there, like wheels, rear axle, fenders, etc. I am giving him $400 for the rest of the truck. What I am trying to decide is this, stay 4 x 4 or convert it to 2wd. The donor truck has all the suspension, so it is very feasable to do. It is my understanding that the crossmember is nearly a bolt in gig. I also have access to a Bell Tech 3" lowering kit for the same truck for very cheap ($250-$400). My concern is wheels and tires for the lifted Burb. I would rather keep it 4x4, but with any tire worth having, I think I would end up too wide. I'm also concerned with room between the frame and the inside of the wheel. If I do go that route, I want to use the 35x12.5x16.5 tires that I already have. My big concern is money, as I just got back to work after 3,5 years of being layed off. My wife is giving me fits about even thinking about it, but the parts truck is too good to pass on, especially if I can part it out quickly and pay for my parts. Has anybody ever done a lifted dually? I know I've seen a couple.
    What are your thoughts?
    T-roy

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i think its a cool idea, i have wanted to do a true one ton by swaping the sub body onto a one ton truck frame and axles,

my thoughts are its cool and if you have the funds go for it, but don;t stress yourself and your new job over it.

and If you do go 4x4 you will need a full width dulie front axle if you want to run the offset rims in the front aswell.

if not you could stick with the 3/4 on front, hey why not make it like this /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif [​IMG]

now that just kicks ass!!!!

3. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

That is a cool looking burb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i wet my pants when i firt saw that pic.

someone on here knows that guy, he puts the second set of tires on the front only when wheelin /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i wet my pants when i firt saw that pic.

someone on here knows that guy, he puts the second set of tires on the front only when wheelin /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

55willy knows him, that burb lives a few miles away from him in Eugene Or /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Is that burb wearing 8 38" boggers?

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

In that pic, yes it is /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hey i just relized how much friggen money it would take to put shoes on that thing /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

More than I'd like to pay /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hey i just relized how much friggen money it would take to put shoes on that thing /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

These cost $210 a piece x8 that is 1600 and change plus tax.
    Not too bad.
    /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif