Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dually D44 Front??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seattlek5, Sep 24, 2003.

1. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Can a D44 front be converted to used dually front wheels without using aftermarket wheel spacers? It's for my tow rig so I don't want to have to pay for another D60. What's the weight rating on a 44? I want to tow my K5 with a camper and I'm thinking duals will drive a lot better than maxed out singles.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I've never heard of a D44 dually. You'd have to either have hubs custom made or have your modified.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, a lot of towtrucks had dually 10 bolts and Dana 44s. It's kind of depressing to think that a dually rig is always going to have a Dana 60 under it and then you look under the front of a towtruck and find balljoints.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, a lot of towtrucks had dually 10 bolts and Dana 44s. It's kind of depressing to think that a dually rig is always going to have a Dana 60 under it and then you look under the front of a towtruck and find balljoints.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Why would that be? Tow trucks are very heavy and need lots of weight in the front to offset the weight when towing /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know. I should take some pictures when I'm scrounging through junkyards and find oddball things like that.

But anyway, look under those old towtrucks and you'll find that they usually have dually 10 bolts/Dana 44s under them. I had no idea they made a dually 10 bolt and for all I know they're Dana 44 outers but who knows. I'm no expert. I just know what I see under these rigs. Kind of like how you see SFA under FedEx Savanna vans these days...

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh I believe you I just think it is goofy /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif