Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dually in the mud?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 27, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How are Dually's in the mud? I keep thinking a nice dually wiht 38x11 boggers on the back would be nice. some 38x12.50 TSLs on the front.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I built a dually for the mud and it was COOL ! I liked it best with wide tires up front and the skinny ones in the rear . Normally I ran 38x13x16 Swamper TSL's all the way around but sometimes I barrowed a set of 39 Boggers from NEVERENUF ( John ) and put them on the front. The slight difference in tire diameter never became a problem in the mud and the extra floatation that the wide Boggers gave was great . The rear gave awesome traction and cleaned out the mudd very well at low tire speed - not much need to get the tires spinning real hard just to clean out the treads due to the four skinny tires in the back.
    The extra width did suck in the woods though . It made for some driving finness and very close rear fender ( the dually hip ) to tree clearances.
    Four wheeling with a dually does help out in the traction department but I suggest that you go with a wider set of front tires. Leave the front SRW hubs and go with a wide rim/tire combo for better floatation .
    I really liked my dually but if I were going to build another truck for just the mud I would just go with a SRW truck and wide tires all the way around and put a motor in it that has got some serious big balls and get some tire speed.
    Tom

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

were you thinking about a dually K5? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have never seen one but It wold probably be cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hehe read my mind /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif my buddy's dad has a K5 that blew a head gasket, rusted out, general old junker and my other buddy's dad has a 76 1 ton 2wd with SM465, 454, and dually rear /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think the two may meet in the not to very distant future. Maybe 38.5x11 boggers in the back and the SRW front hubbed axle running 38x15s. I would make the dually fenders removable, big time roosting in mud and better clearances.

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

big roost is right you can run with out dually flair and just make a small flair out fot sheetmetall A few guys around here do it look kinna cool

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Here is a pic of TARussell's truck...

[​IMG]

He forgot to mention that he had a fire breathing roller 468 in it! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It was like a 4 wheeling in a top fuel BUS!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Afroman 006 is planning to build a dually suburban...I'd like to see that. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

there are a few dually subs running around here. there is a new model one and an older one. they both look very good.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If I am not mistaken I do believe we pulled that motor out of my truck and put it in your 1980 model truck for the past six or seven years .So it only spent a couple of years in my Dually and much more time in your truck.
    My Dually was GREAT off-road but it could not hang with John's ( NEVERENUF ) truck with the same motor in it and just four tires. John's truck was INCREDIBLE in the deep mud !
    I did not post to spread sunshine all up John's butt - I actually wanted to ask John to post a picture of Ed Roller's suburban with the dual's on it . It looked cool !

Judging from that picture I think that was the last trip that truck took to the "Swamp" with that motor in it. That's when the cable and shackle went through the grill / radiator and into the fan and I got pulled home .Thanks for the pic.....
    Tom

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Suddenly my booty feels warm all over. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the Sub in dually form. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

there is a dually K5 here in San Jose

looks weird as heck

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    were you thinking about a dually K5? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have never seen one but It wold probably be cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    once my 74 is done if i decide to make another 4x4 vice a Chevelle then i plan on a full out dually K5 with a old C70 style big fender front end clip. this would allow me to run BIG tires, little lift and look like a big roller skate. yeah, i know. im nuts
    Grant

13. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Yup. I already have the spring hangers and a plan. Cab and Chassis dually, 2 or 3 inch spacers between hub and inside wheel, maybe 1" spacer between two wheels and 36x12.50R16 TSL radials for now (but I see 40's in my future). Right now, my burb is white and has black fender flares. I am planning on using normal dually flares and painting them black and leaving my front flares on. The only thing I cant figure out is the shock mounts though. From what I hear, the rear mounted shock on the dually axle will hit the gastank, so I'm probably going to have to fab my own brackets. But I'm going to have to learn to weld first...

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

they look ghey. one of them runs around here and it looks like a time warp outta the 80's.

there are 22 shocks and at least that many lights....