Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dually owners-- need opinion on Dually vs SRW

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZZ4x4, Jan 29, 2004.

1. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I sold my last crew cab SRW tow rig and plan to buy another tow rig soon, and I need the opinions of dually owners on whether to get the Dually or SRW 3500. The truck will be a daily driver. My main concern is relaxation inside since I drive an hour through Dallas traffic to and from work. When you drive a SRW, it's pretty easy to keep the truck in the lane and not go bouncing off curbs /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but when towing a trailer you have to concentrate on staying centered. You never really relax driving around town due to the width, and that wears you out. Is driving a dually the same as towing a trailer to where you need to stay focused on lane positioning all the time, or does it ever become easy? Would you buy a dually again or go with the SRW if everything else in the truck were the same?

Thanks for your opinion...
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I went dually and planned to sell it if I didnt like it. You get used to the width real fast and you dont think about it anymore. I do pull tight corners with care and park out more at the store and stuff.

The drawbacks vanish real fast though when you hook up the trailor. Side winds and swaying seem to almost disapear. You can also get away with loading the trailor off as the truck is so much more stable. I'm keeping mine and my next one will also be a dually.

Mine is a '92 GMC 4x4 xtra cab dually with the 454. The next one I might go diesel.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have the Ram 3500 Dually with the Cummins. It is not anymore difficult to drive after the first 100 miles than anything else. I use mine as a daily driver as well. I agree with Sandman about the trailer towing too. I pull a 35 foot fifth wheel camper with a 20 foot boat hooked to the back of the camper and there is not any swaying problems, well worth the extra two tires.

keep in mind though you are pulling two extra tires so your fuel mileage will decrease slightly and when it comes to putting tires on you are buying two more E rated tires.

John

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've driven my dad's '97 K3500 crew dually with a 454 Vortec and 4L80E and I love that truck. It rides nice and straight and goes down the highway like a dream for a truck that large. He uses it to pull the 5th wheel camper with all over the nation and has no complaints about it, yet. One small thing he did complain about was the fuel economy when pulling the camper. He says if he gets the next truck after this one, he wants to try the diesels. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Yeah I really want the Dually and was hoping the "non-towing" time behind the wheel would not be miserable. I can tell you towing the 5000+lb Jimmy behind the wife's Yukon XL with the 5.3L gasser IS miserable /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. Definitely need a dmax /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.