Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dually question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I have a question... I sort of want a dually for towing trailers, and hauling trucks with, but I have a question... I heard that with the extra "wide tires" (2 per side instead of 1) in the rear, it gets more slippery on the roads because the tires float across the snow/ice/gravel/pavement, instead of dig in for traction. In the winter... is it posible to take one of the 2 tires off each side (so there would be 1 per side now) for driving in the winter, then when the snow leaves, put the other tires on? Or how would I go about that? I guess I could get hummer rims (7" or so backspacing) so it wouldn't act funny.
    But I have never driven a dually... advice?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Throw 500+ pounds of gravel in the back, and dont shovel the snow out of it. Yes, they dual rear wheels can make it get squirlier because of the added flotation, but i know plenty of people who drive dually's all winter long up near Canada with no problems. They just load them up in fall and unload it in the spring.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have found it to be the opposite. It is raining today and I have driven both my work truck which is a '98 C30 dually with a 5spd and my dodge cummins 3/4 single rear wheel this morning. I had to floor it in a turn in 2nd gear to get my dually to break loose for a second and that is with a vortec 454. My cummins dodge wont hardly hook in the rain at all.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

you can take the outside dual off and just put the lug nuts back on. you dont need any special rims for it :haha: i just drove my 82 in the snow for the first time (this year) and i loved playing with it. in snow and ice you do get less traction as you have more weight distribution. but i have grown up in maine and snow and ice and used to drive a 454 4.10 posi dually to school. :saweet: and in the winter of course. :haha: i think they are fun. but when yer haulin a trailer under regular conditions, you cant beat a dually. they are a lot more stable, ie a lot less sway. have hauled with srw and drw and currently have 2 crew cab duallys :grin: i wont ever go back. and you always are carrying a spare with a dually. one goes flat just remove it and toss it in the bed. :haha: go dually and never look back!!! :waytogo:

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks, I will probably get one eventually when the time is right, and see how it is in the snow. Thanks

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

fun fun fun!!!!! :haha: you will love it i am sure. on a secondary road (i live on) that isnt as nice and clear as the main route in town, i was doing the speed limit today in slick conditions. and the truck did slide a little... of course thats what happens when one purposefully romps on the skinny pedal :whistle:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cant prove it by me!

I have a friend with a 1970 GMC dually 2wd --he plows with it,and unless he has a huge cement block(3x3 feet!)in the flatbed,it wont plow anything,it just slides sideways and pulls donuts!--he took the outer tires off,and it was a whole different truck--he said it plowed better with single tires and less weight than it did with chains on the dual rears--and chains on the single wheels were even better--he said he might not use the cement weight anymore,he's going to leave just the single rear wheels on for the winter,and put them back on next spring for towing his horse trailer,saving wear on the 2 tires...:crazy:

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

When I used to live in the snow, I would do this:

Put about 500 pounds of cement bags in the back ($2 per 80 pound bag), or throw a couple three wheelers back there. The weight made all the difference.

In addition to that, I would put studded tires on :woot:

4wd, studded tires, and cement bags was just like driving on dry roads. I could slam the brakes and stop in a couple feet at slower speeds where other people would slide for 30 feet :) I could slam the gas and take off without, hardly, spinning a tire :)

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

10. teamroper1

teamroper1 Newbie

What is the difference between two 8" wide tires and one 16" on the rear on each side of the rear?

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

normally your stock truck in a srw config does not have a 16" tire.... maybe 10.5" :p:

12. teamroper1

teamroper1 Newbie

That is true but who keeps their stock tires anymore? If you run wide mudders on your srw do you change to a narrow tire in the winter?

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i would if i wanted to get any traction. i used to laugh at people in highschool that whined they had to run in 4x4 all winter cuz their truck was dangerous in snow. :haha: :haha: :haha: i've ALWAYS driven "dangerous in bad weather" type vehicles in winter. i drove in hisghschool my dads 89 crew dually w/ 454 tbi & 4.10 rear. and never had a problem. now i own 2 crew duallys. and i used to have a V-8 S-10. none of which I would refuse to drive in bad weather. thats just the way I am :dunno: but for someone who wants to get traction, driving with wide mud tires would not make sense.