Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dually rear axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I will be getting a dually rear axle out of an 78 1 ton truck. Was considering if it would be worth swapping over into my 79 K5 or not? If I choose not to use it, what would be worth? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

It'll be narrower than the front axle and you'll have to have the spring perches moved to fit it in your K5 or get the 1 ton spring hangers as well. It's probably more hassle than it's worth considering the price of a 14 bolt FF.

3. Mudbug1979

78? Would that be Dana 70 or a 14 Bolt? Time and labor is not a prob, but if I don't use it is it worth selling?

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If it is from a Dually pickup (pickup bed with fiberglass fenders from factory) and not a cab/chassis (no bed from factory) you should have a Dana 70 that is wider than your front axle. It would not work unless you want to run stock HMMV rims with a 7" backspacing and a dually front Dana 60.

If the axle is from a cab/chassis it will be a Corp 14 FF that is too narrow for your truck. Better to sell that one to a Jeep guy wanting 1 ton axles.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It will depend on the the truck as to which axle it is (D70HD or 14 bolt). If it is a pick up (originally sold with a bed) it will have a D70HD, if the truck was a cab & chassis it will most likely have a 14 bolt.

The 14 bolt would probably be very narrow but a D70HD will be VERY wide (roughly 11" wider than a SRW axle).

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

AHHH!!! Were there ever any 14 bolts put into dually pickups (with beds and fenders?). Or would the narrow cab and chassis 14 bolt work for my burban? I already have the 1 ton spring hangers so I know what I need to do I just cant figure out which axle I need. Thx

7. Mudbug1979

Well it looks like I will have Dana 70 To sell. My luck.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

92-up DRW pickups use the 14FF. Are you going for the narrow or wide track width? If you're going wide, just get that 92-up version and change the perches to fit your truck.

Using the 1-ton frame hangers will mess you up for shock mounts. The passenger side will need to go right where your fuel tank is.