Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dually tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordeater, Jun 7, 2004.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is the biggest size tire you can fit on a dually? I might be buying an 87 1 ton dually 4x4 that already has a 4 inch lift. I was just wondering what the biggest size tire is that i could fit, and how wide i could go on the back.

2. fordeater

anybody?

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

With or with out hacking the bulge fender part?

4. fordeater

without. The truck is in perfect shape, i don't wanna tear anything up.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

The sky is really the limit, you can by spacers to fit wide tires and you can add lift to get taller ones. What I think tyou should consider first is not how big , but how do I plan to use this dually and how will a big tire effect that. How easy will it be to run a trailer, what will gas run me, what power will I have to make up for since I have a bigger tire. If Money is no issue, then it really goes back to my original statement.....The skies the limit!!

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Michelin XL in 9.00R16 should fit. They're 35-36" or so... load range D, and they're radials. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

Let's see some pictures of your dually!
    I've got a stock 88 V30 reg. cab dually (D60/D70HD, 454EFI, SM465, 4.10s)

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ran 33" for a while on my '92 dually. I ended up going back to stock and my milage jumped 3 points.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let's see some pictures of your dually!

[/ QUOTE ]

The linked pic in my sig is the only one I have online. Mine's an SRW. I'll get Michelin XLs when the time comes... probably the 11.00R16 (39") variety.

11. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Tire size is not the real issue as stated in one of the above posts, it's what are you going to use the dually for.

If you are going to tow heavy loads with the dually, do not run spacers, in order to get bigger tire sized you usually have to run spacer due to the tire width. If you are going to tow with a dually, you do no want the two rear tires touching, major no no... Big issue with saftey and towing ability. If you are not going to tow big weights, then run spacers and good luck on the size. But like other have said above, make sure you do the reasearch on what you are going to do with it first before you go with tire size. Spacers, big tires, and heavy towing loads equals big problems...

I presonally would love to run a bigger wider tire on my dually, but I tow heavy weights and it just does not make good use of the reason I bought the dually.

Let us know what you decided and show us some pics... Love to see dually with cool looking tires and cool looking lifts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rob

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

rob makes some great points. i want to get the adaptors from chrome wheel to run the 22.5 inch alcoas and some semi tires on them. then i would have to regear. someone on her found some 19.5 inch rims with 8 lug pattern for out trucks. i will end up getting those. the smallest tire for those rims is 31 inches or so. the next size up is 34 inches. il turn my torsion bars up a bit and clear them just fine. this also keeps the tires small( perspective wise as less tire sway in corners) and gives me a higher load rated tire for when i decide to overload my rig.

it will also make it so i get better highway mileage and i think it will look a lot better. i still want alcoas, but untill they make the 19.5's for our trucks steel is my way.

oh, and i found out i have a flat inner tire today, but i think it may have been that way for a couple days....
    Grant

13. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

How about these? They have a great load rating in the 255/85/16 or 285/75/16's. Almost 33" tall. [​IMG]