Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duck Hunting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Well guys, I will be duck hunting for the first time saturday morning. Ive been a pheasant hunter for about 5 years now. I know I need to put the duck plug back into my gun restricting it to 3 shells. I have all the licenses I need and I dug all the Camo I could find out of my paintball gun arsenal. Its all either Mossy Oak or Advantage Timber. Acording to my buddys that will be fine.

Im looking for any advice you can give me.

Gun: Winchester 1300 Speed Pump 12 gauge
    Shells: Winchester 3 inch 1 shot 1 1/4 oz i think they are.
    I have a belt which hold 25 shells for quick loading

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

whats this only three shells crap? i thought the point of hunting was to kill something, and in water foul, kill as many as you can... 3 shells... thats DUMB!

oh, good luck. as you can tell, i dont hunt anything. much easier to go to the supermarket and buy chicken or cow or pig.. then cook. hell, its even on the way home from work... lol

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go with someone experienced your first time and make sure you can ID 'em very well before you ever fire a shot. Males are easy to distinguish species, females, not so much.

4. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't worry about the camo pattern, it really doesn't matter. As for the belt for speed loading, don't really worry about that either. I've always thought the Winchester 1300 was a pretty good buy for a beginners gun. Shoot at their heads, it helps a lot, especially on crossing shots. But you shoot pheasants, so you probably know that. Don't be shy about shooting them off the water, they taste the same as the ones you shoot out of the air.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Nice!

Same thing an old timer told me about quail, "You wanna eat, shoot 'em on the ground, you wanna hunt, shoot em in the air."

I like to eat

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Wait for the ducks to land before shooting, it is much easier that way.:rolleyes:

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys. We are going out and setting up about midnight or 1 i think. Me, 4 or 5 buddys, one of theres dad. Some guys down from council bluffs are coming up too I think.

Only thing Im real worried about is tellin the birds apart. It so damn easy with Pheasants