Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

duct tape washers and chewing gum

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a speech to give next week. Its on the uses of duct tape, washers, and chewing gum. I figured what better place to ask about the best truck and trail fixes you all have done with these materials then the best truck and offroading website in the world. All help appreciated. Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Hossbaby50 on 09/13/01 09:13 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this one counts, but I broke the eye off of my transmission dipstick, and being part of the dipstick itself, I needed to do something before the stick fell into the tranny pan - My cure was to bend a ¼" fender washer 90º and braze it to the stick as a new eye - the longer it's been there, the more it's grown on me - kind of a one-off custom look[​IMG] I also once used duct tape as sort of overgrown teflon tape to keep dissimilar fire hose threads from leaking too much (major safety issue, but it worked at the time). We also use nothing but duct tape to secure EMS patients to spine boards - nothing's more secure, and it's disposable.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

BTW I got a pic of the dipstick if that would help you any[​IMG]

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

are you asking about "ductape washers" or ducktape and washers, that confused me.

my truck has a craftsman socket (metric, i hate metric) spacing the water pump bracket away from the block, i get a kick out of it.

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

5. Hossbaby50

No the pictures won't be necessary, thanks though. The duct tape on the spine board thing will work great! thanks.

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

After one of my drain plugs in my tub rotted through I used a washer and duct tape on the bottom of my tub and then used Por-15 to fill in the hole Hope this helps
    88K5Jimmy

7. Hossbaby50

I am asking about duct tape or washers. I have to have four sources for the speech so any good duct tape or washer stories will help alot. thanks

8. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

This one is really hard to say cause Duct tape can be used for anything you want to use it for!!!! Anything!!! I remember a party last spring break we duct taped a guy that was about 5'8" tall to the phone poll so that his feet were about 8" of the ground, of course he was passed out at the time but it sure was funny to watch him in the morning!!!! Try a search for "uses of duct tape" and the same for "uses of chewing gum". You may try going to talk to some of the framers about it too!!! I know the ones I have worked for use duct tape and washers until the part comes in!!!!

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I've used chewing-gum to get a broken spider shaft lock bolt out of a carrier. (I'm kinda suprized that broken spider shaft lock bolts aren't more common questions here, I see 'em all the time.)

Here's how it works: The spider gears ride on the spider shaft, the spider shaft is held in place by the lock bolt. The lock bolt is only threaded by the head of the bolt and the rest of the bolt is smooth. Sooo, the spider shaft snaps the bolt sometimes. (but the threaded head of the bolt holds the broken part inplace) -Well, it can be hard to remove the broken part of the bolt. So, as a second to last resort effort, I cleaned the area, put some gum on the remaing part of the bolt and reinstalled the head, then removed it, and (to my suprize) the remining part of the bolt "caught a thread" and I was able to remove it the rest of the way out with a pic.

For the record, the next step would have been to destroy the case.

We will stand strong!
    <font color=blue>AMERICA!</font color=blue>

10. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

=-) one time on my dads farm we got a whole in teh grain bin combine and untail we could unload it we used chewing gum to plug the whole up took 5 pieces =-) the hole was about 1/2 inch big we have also used duct tape to fix hole on the combine as well as to seal the cab so A/C works better we shut the doors and duct tape around the seals

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

11. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

chewing gum holds some speaker wires together in my blazer. I used duct tape to cover some rust holes around my wheel wells and keep exhaust gasses out.

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</a>

12. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Call your local F*rd manufacturer.... They've plenty of models, er umm, uses for duct tape, washers and bubble gum. [​IMG]

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

What about velcro? You gotta include that stuff! [​IMG]

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

While backpacking I have twice (once for a friend and once for myself) used duct tape to make a knee brace. The first time was for my friend when we day hiked to the top of Mt San Gorgonio (14mi round trip with 10,000' of total elevation change). The switch backs on the way back were murder on his knee. I wraped his knee with a bandana and than wrapped the duct tape (which I keep wrapped around my water bottle) around it.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

15. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Once while playing paintball i was hiding in some brush on a creek bed waiting for an enemy bastard and a few more than i expected came and i was under heavy fire. So I slid down the bank and hid in a bush. On the way down i had cut the web inbetween my finger a little deep and anytime i moved my hand it bled. So what i did was got a rag ripped a piece off, put it over the cut, got a stick and put it against my finger and duct taped my midde and ring fingers together. Took it off when i got home and it didnt bleed until washed my hands and moved em around a bit.

The road is calling you.......ignore it!

16. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I've used gum to plug a hole in a radiator. ductape to hold parts of my motorcycle together after i droped it. duck tape is also good when going on bushy trails with a new truck. just duck tape the sides of the truck and you got instant protection

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The Lady's truck has a leak where the hard top meets the cab. Her truck is black and every 6 months or so I put a new peice of black duct tape over the seal to keep it from leaking.
    I have seen duct tape used to hold together the top of a rolled Bronco. Used to hold the hood closed on a truck that hit a tree and broke the hood latch. Balled up to make a plug that was used to seal a axle tube after the axle shaft failed. Drove that truck out with a log chained to the spring under the axle and 3 wheels. Bandage. Protect hands when gloves not available. Seal a hole in a convertable top. Shut up a kid. Hold stencils.
    Washers...best use...shim wastgate for 40hp on a supra. Spacers on hundreds of things. Balast weight on paper and balsa air planes.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

18. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I patched a small hole in one tire on my old Cougar with duct tape. I made a plug of duct tape and jammed it in the whole then wrapped the tire with a couple times with the tape. It lasted about five miles, which was far enough to get me to a service station.

I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.
    http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual

19. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    That's because there is a special tool avalable, and it don't cost too much.

20. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try this site
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/>http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/</a>
    The duct tape guys are cool!!!
    My sister got me their book for Christmas.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>