Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duece and a half tires, somewhat cheap, fit your K5!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jul 5, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get this, I'm not selling these, I just find this to be GREAT! I was just clued in by an email on these tires. This sounds nearly too good to be true.

Okay, here we go. These tires are size 11.00R16, which is like 38.8" tall and 11" wide. They also come in 9.00R16 which is 36" tall and 10" wide. They're heavy truck tires, 10 ply rated, and can support 4500 lbs per tire @ 80 PSI!!!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://195.154.239.168/truck/tires/17/specs.gif>Check out the tread pattern.</A>

Since they're designed for commercial use, I think they'd last quite a while.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dollartire.com>The good thing is too, you can get them used here.</A> They're not all that cheap at $175-$250 each, but they're 75% tread I was told by the person that told me all about this website.

They're ALL STEEL too, not belted tires.

Can anyone see a problem with these tires? They're only rated for 65 MPH too, but I don't see that as a problem as we would never load them to even close to their capacity. I doubt my whole truck weighs 4500 lbs, much less put that much weight on one tire.

So, what's the catch here? They seem to look like a great deal to me.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 84_Chevy_K10 on 07/05/01 01:05 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, since Dollar Tire is located in Canada, it's 175-250Cnd...which is about 120-170 US. The tires would probably be only good for pavement, dirt, and gravel roads...maybe sand. Also, I don't think there is a wheel available to mount these tires on other than industrial ones...and they have industrial bolt patters which usually can't be bolted up to a dana 60 or a 14 bolt..converting them would be expensive. If I remember correctly, there was a 1 ton dodge (or was it a ford?) with highway truck tires...I'm pretty sure it was in 4wheel&off-road...2-3 years a go maybe.

<font color=purple>L8R...</font color=purple>

<font color=green>chevy4x4
    </font color=green>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're 16" tubeless tires, and the guy who emailed me to tell me about them told me he runs them on his Ford F350.

They look like mudders to me, why do you think they'd only be good on a dry surface?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Well those tires are good for mud and snow but not much else. The rubber compound is too hard for rocks and pavement because it doesn't give. They are very noisy and aren't DOT legal. They are for military use only and you run into things like a ticket from the police or if your in an accident your insurance company could deny a claim due to non- DOT approved tires and things like that.

David 75K5

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.extremeblazer.com>http://www.extremeblazer.com</A>

[image]http://www.extremeblazer.com/sideapproachL.jpg[/image]

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well, I don't go on any rocks, so I don't care if they work well on rocks or not.

I emailed Michelin to see if they're DOT approved. I can't imagine they not being.

The hard compound would make them last a long time...seems that'd be good if you didn't need the rock traction.

Tim

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok never mind what i said about the only good on pavement and crap...I didn't see the tread pattern...when i clicked on it, it took me to a Michelin site, and the pic was of a streetish looking tire...as gold rush said, they'd suck on the rocks. It would be ok for a mud only rig, cause they're skinny, but I think if you are building a mud only rig, you'd want bigger than 38".

<font color=purple>L8R...</font color=purple>

<font color=green>chevy4x4
    </font color=green>

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I had the XS version on my Blazer. The XL version is pictured. They are called LAV tires and not Deuceandahalf which use a larger diameter wheel. My 11R16XS were DOT by the way, and measured 38.3 inches diameter. I put them on my M37 and sold it with the 11R16XSs. 2 big mistakes. These are the toughest tires I have ever seen and Bandag makes a recap to fit them.

SteveB

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was just saying they look like Duece and a half tires. Not that it's necessarily the same size tire.

My truck is not used as mud only, it's a daily driver. I have to make sure these tires will work in mud, snow, and on pavement as well as my BFG M/Ts do.

Tim

9. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

I have had these tires before, and I did't care for them. they are too hard, and WAY too heavy, always had axle breakage up front (dana44, 60 would hold up better) and were useless in snow. also were not great in mud (didn't clean themselves) while the price is right for a tire this size, they are not that practical in my experience for an off roader. if you have a heavy one ton primarily used on road carrying a heavy load (water tank, welder, etc) i think they would be good. I doubt if you would puncture them with only a k5 on them, that's about the only advantage....just my experience with them.....ED

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, I guess there are some disadvantages...but they're cheap and they look cool!

I'll stick to my BFGs for now.

Tim

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If they're rated at 4500lbs per tire, they would probably ride like concrete donuts, even with the pressure reduced way down (which would create excess heat in the carcass, shortening the lifespan of the tire).
    If you really wanted to run these, I'm sure Stockton Wheel-<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stocktonwheel.com>http://www.stocktonwheel.com</A>-could make a set of wheels for you.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

12. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

A coupla more things on these tires: they are really heavy and your unsprung weight will increase. Mounting these 11x16s was a bear. I couldn't lift them alone when mounted on a steel wheel. Also, the bead is a full one inch wide so your beadlocks may not be usable. I experienced some slippage (tire rotating on rim a little at 10 psi) and got some beadlocks. Problem was, the bolts were too short for the 1" bead. Also, some are tube type, some are tubeless. Be sure to look at and read the sidewall before buying. There is a company South of St Louis MO which sells these tires used and as retreads.

SteveB