Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duh Duh....Stupid Question Time.....?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Aug 7, 2000.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Ok you all, I've decided (for now) to get rid of the TBI 5.7 for a carbureted 383 stroker engine. Being that I will be deleting the ECM computer and replacing it with an HEI ignition, my question is, what will I need in addition to the HEI distributor/coil to complete the ignition system and were do I connect the wires coming off of the HEI distributor? I love you all man sniff sniff............Det45

2. Hey man ! Just don't sell your ECM and TBI stuff cuz you will want it back the first time you get vertical !! Some carbs do fine, but from my experience I would much rather have the TBI !

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

4. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Hey big burb, YOU DA MAN man.......Anyway how do I get big horse power with the stock TBI ? I'm open minded and haven't purchased any parts for the 383cid yet so what can I do with the stock TBI 5.7 to get a lot more HP and torque torque torque.....? Is the stock 1989 TBI 5.7 engine able to be pumped up using the TBI system? Do the heads on this stock engine flow good enough? Forget port fuel injection, cost too much to convert. The carbureted 383cid I was looking at is the one offered by Sallee Chevrolet (www.sallee-chevrolet.com) Lots of torque and HP however, I will stay with the stock TBI 5.7 if it can be souped up with a markable increase in torque and HP.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Paxton makes a great super charger that comes as a bolt on kit for a TBI. They claim 360 hp and 480 lbs of torque out of a fuel injected 350. Also it all fits under the hood no, problem. I have seen one of these installed.It looked real clean and was very imperssed with the performance. They are a little pricy though about $3300. I think summit sells them.
    Also Holley and another company make bigger aftermarket throttle bodys that I have heard work pretty good. www.fastchip.com makes some hot chips for your trucks computer. Putting a 1" spacer under the throttle body will give about 8% more torque. You can also buy cams that are engineered for a TBI computer control. These are just a few things you can do to hop up a TBI engine. And the good part is they are all smog legal And you still keep the good gas mileage.

[​IMG]
    Stupid Jeeps!

6. det45,
    I would start with a K&N air filter, then go with no cats or high flow cats through some flowmasters, and maybe even headers. You'd be surprised what that will give you, I am not talking alot, but a noticable difference. I'm not an engine guru so I am not the man to ask about high performance stuff on that end of the spectrum. I have heard of people putting bigger cams in with ported and polished heads, and having a different chip made to step up the flow of juices to her. Search and you will find !! Good Luck

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

7. Check out turbo city,they sell blueprint throttle bodies and tons of other TBI hop up goodies!They also sell a kit to run duel throttle bodies for higher horse power applications,their wiring harness plugs directly into your existing one.Plus it looks pretty damn coll also!!!
    B&M sells a supercharger kit for TBI gm trucks,there alot more reliable than the paxto and about half the price.
    The best thing about a super charger is that you'll get the power and reliability.Not to minchen your gas milage will
    probably get beter than stock.If you can keep your foot out of it!!!LOL But I would never take off your TBI for a carb.
    Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would look into a set of Vortech heads from the Chevy dealer. That is the main reason the 350 jumped in power in 96. These heads are brand new, cast iron, bolt on, and very reasonably priced. I've heard they are the best heads you can buy for the dollar and they will really wake up a 350. If you get a larger throttle body, chip, and maybe some 1.6:1 rockers you would have a huge increase in power.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

That's too bad about the TBI. Wanna sell it to me along with the ECM? Seriously! And you can throw in your old distributor, too if you like.

You are gonna miss that TBI. Second best thing is a q-jet in my book, so that is my recommendation for a carby.

On the carby HEI, connect switched +12V (if you had a large-cap style EFI HEI, you can just plug the connector right in to the cap). If you had the small-cap style, you will have to cut off the connector that used to plug into the top of the IGN coil and put a spade terminal on to fit your new cap.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

10. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Oh boy, I'm glad you are open minded... How much time you wanna spend on it? Wanna learn how to reprogram GM EFI yourself? The only way to get that 383 to run optimally with a GM system (or any) is with custom tuning. One of those generic aftermarket chips will not "compensate" for your mods, which will include heads, intake, headers possbly, compression, etc. I suggest that you make a call yo howell-efi.com and tell them what you are doing if you don't wanna learn and burn yourself. They will do a custom chip for you that will come relatively close to optimum.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

11. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Good call Realsquash!

Howell are a very knowledgeable crowd on the TBI EFI and so are Turbo City. The mods realsquash suggested will be necessary with the possible exception of the heads. The other replies have also covered most requirements like a better breathing TBI unit. However, the stock TBI is rated to flow 450-500cfm so if were talking a low RPM 383, then you may get away with it. Another mod that might be necessary is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The only caution I would advise is to keep the compression in the low 9's. Otherwise, detonation with the TBI may be a problem. With a custom chip and a Crane CompuCam to boot, you'll have a very healthy engine!

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer