Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dulley disc brakes ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85k5dsl, Jan 18, 2007.

1. 85k5dsl

85k5dsl 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 14 BFF with the Dulley hubs and H1 wheels and would like to swap over to disc brakes. All of the kits I have see so far state not for use with a Dulley rear. Does any one make this or am I stuck with using drum brakes.

Thanks
    Mark

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

How do your tires not rub the leafs? :crazy: Sounds like you have really narrow track going - especially with the backspacing on the H1s.

These guys make a dually disc kit. I believe they are using a rotor with a very deep 'hat'.
    http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index7.html#8dually

Another way to go is a weld-on disc bracket. Or you could move or replace the stock backing plate flange so it will take one of the really cheap bolt-on kits.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The problem with the duallies, either C&C or wide, is that the brake flange is in the wrong place for the rotors to line up with the calipers.

I ended up going totally custom -- Blackbirds didn't have the kit, IIRC, when I did mine -- with the rotors for a 2003 Express Van (DRW, disc) which are very very deep, but also a smidgen wider diameter than the K20 rotors most folks use, so I had to do totally custom weld-on brackets to hold ther calipers. I used the Caddy ones as I've had good luck with them.

Pix on request.

U2Slow, the 1-ton's narrow spring spacing is an advantage on my truck, i.e. the tires fit, but barely ... I ended up using SRW hubs, so it's the stock WMS (67"? I forget) ... but even with the DRW hubs that tuck the wheels in 2" more each side, it's doable.

On a K5, though, with the wider spring perches, and assuming fat tires... yeah, could get close. Might want to switch to SRW hubs to widen the WMS.

-- A

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I asked about this awhile back and someone linked me to a place that had a kit for duallies, AND I do remember that they were VERY proud of their product too,,,,,,just gonna keep the drums thank you :crazy:

5. tvguy

tvguy 1/2 ton status

I looked for a kit as well . . . for a Dana 70HD dually. Blackbird Custom was the only one I could find, but no way I could justify the price tag. Great Lake Off Road told me thier Dana 70 kit would work on a dually with '75 rotors and calipers, so I ordered it and went out and bought the rotors and calipers. A couple hundred bucks later and IT DOES NOT WORK! When I test fit the rotor in the stock budd wheel, there was only about 1/2" of clearance. When I emailed Shawn at Great Lake, he said he "didn't know I was using stock wheels" and suggested I buy new, larger wheels. Needless to say I scrapped the disk brake project and put the drums back on.