Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dum F---

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mdapperdan, Mar 12, 2006.

1. mdapperdan

mdapperdan Registered Member

I'm replacing my heads on my stock 350 in my '74 blazer and was hoping that someone can direct me in valve adjustment. (some where so when I fire the motor it will be close to the proper valve lash adjustment.)
    Thanks Dan

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Assuming hydraulic lifters?

Be sure to soak the lifters in oil, working the pump up and down a few times while they are soaking.

Starting with the number 1 cylinder, rotate the engine until it is at TDC on the compression stroke.

Tighten the rocker studs until the pushrods have zero play and then an additional 3/4 to 1 turn.
    If you're running mechanical lifters, tighten the studs until you have the proper cold clearance between the rocker and valve tip.

Repeat for the remaining cylinders. The easiest way to do it is just to go in firing order (18436572) with the intake off and just watch for when both lifters are down.

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Get a Chiltons. Seems like getting tdc on the compression stroke on every cyl. is the trick to doing it the non-running way... Then maybe adjust to zero valve lash at that point? do-no for sure

EDIT: Yea, what he said.

4. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

With the valve covers off and lifters having been thoroughly soaked in oil, set engine at TDC and tighten all rockers until you just barely can't turn the pushrods. Then turn crank to 1/4 turn and repeat. Back off any that need to be backed off. Then to 1/2 turn then 3/4 turn and so on to two full turns of the crank. By the end all will be perfectly adjusted and you will not have to adjust them while running. You won't have to guess at 3/4 to 1 turn more than this or that. An old Mechanic told me how to do this and it works really good.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

one full turn of the rocker nut past zero lash is what will center the plunger in the lifter body

which is factory stock correct

zero plus one is for all hydraulic lifters

you want ot adjust a rocker when the lifter is all the way down in its bore and on the backside of the lobe of the cam that it rides on

i like ot adjust mine before iput the intake on so then i can see where the lifters are at

no readjustment necessary after zero plus one full turn

good luck

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

new lifters? screw trying to set them just by soaking them in oil. prime the oil pump.

8. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

You are not adjusting them to the one full turn past so they are not super tight when they are on the back of the lobe. What this does is adjust them when the valves are closed. The pushrods should center in the lifter body as soon as you put them in not while you are adjusting valve lash. By then it is too late.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i think you're misunderstanding what he's saying. he's not talking about the pushrods centering, he's talking about the plunger in the lifter centering in its bore (at "half stroke"). it doesnt matter if you're on the "front" of the lobe, or the "back" of the lobe, as long as you're on the base circle of the cam.