Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb A$$es behind the counter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Aug 17, 2002.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I went to the local 4x4 place to pick up my new bushings for my 8" springs they ordered them the week before. They bring them out and they look nowhere close to being right well the guy says do you have a body lift, I say yes he says thats the problem cause they use bigger bolts when you have a body lift. I stand there looking baffled at his reply and decide to find out why he believes the spring bushings have anything to do with the body lift. To which he says lets consult the book. Needless to say I'm getting them online thru summit. Thought you would get a laugh from this, or can post your horror stories so I feel better!

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Our "Local Shop" is nothing more than a house of chrome. Nothing there that I need... Mostly all they do there is "Foo Foo" type stuff. You know, looks great and does nothing? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

My local auto parts stores are clowns, too. I can't even seem to get a part from them when I am armed with a manufacturer's part number. Example-trying to get the ends for a Rock Rod. Have the McQuay-Norris numbers that I need (provided by Rockstomper), but can't seem to be able to talk the parts guy into selling me rod ends without an application. So I lay this on him-It's a 1991 K5 Blazer, with a Dana 60 front axle, big block, NV4500, crossover steering setup. Can you look that up? AND HE TRIES!! I only go to those places for filters and misc items anymore. Stuff I can get myself off the floor.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I say yes he says thats the problem cause they use bigger bolts when you have a body lift. I stand there looking baffled at his reply and decide to find out why he believes the spring bushings have anything to do with the body lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bahahahaa.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif That's some funny sh!t. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I say yes he says thats the problem cause they use bigger bolts when you have a body lift. I stand there looking baffled at his reply and decide to find out why he believes the spring bushings have anything to do with the body lift.

[/ QUOTE ]
    **Shaking my head in utter disgust** /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. backyardbuilt

I usually tell them pick a # between 73 and 87 and use that. Best one was when I got my rotors for my rear disc I just used the part # and he said need new front rotors, no rear, but the computer says front. I know it's for my 79's rear disc's, he said that won't work it has drums. I said last time I looked it didn't. I still have not told them I converted it.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My favorite was the parts guy who after seeing the truck and getting an earfull of all the modifications done to it, asks "How do you buy parts for it if you've swapped them all out?"

/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

Funniest one to date was a buddy of mine trying to get an exhaust valve for his f*rd, and the guy argued with him for about 15 minutes that his exhaust doesnt have any valves in it.

9. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

However from the other side of the counter their are so many f#cking dip shits out there who dont know what they even want and come in expecting parts guys to diagnoses thier peice of [censored] neglected cars from the other side of a counter becouse they are to cheap to have them looked at. Yep you gussed it I am a parts store manager.

10. backyardbuilt

Totally understand and have seen it first hand people come in and say can you come out and listen to my car and tell me what I need, ya a mechanic.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Don't get me wrong, I've seen it from both sides too. I'm usually the guy in line behind the moron trying to get the parts guy to read his mind. Being so close to the border, there are sometimes huge language barriers that can add a level of complexity to an already hopeless situation (from either side of the counter),. Enough that I've turned around and walked out on a few occations in utter disbelief! It's still humorous to hear the stories though!

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have met a few peeps like but it was because they are hiring people that have never worked at an auto place before ..Not there fault they are trying to do the job that the computer says it is..HE HE HE ..

On a better side I did find a parts guy at my local kragen (he is there commercial parts guy) and he has gotton all my business since I was talking about my msd box going south and he right away said to give it to him and he will warenty it for free (and I never bought it from him) so I thought that was the best and go there for all I need now..

I did however went to get front wheel bearings last month and he was off and the girl at the counter was new and the bearing that she gave me was for like a "MINI"
    or something I would have never got the bearing on the spindle at all..HE HE HE So I just waited till he got back from lunch,I know that we all could spend all day in an auto parts store ( I could) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah the Zone up the street from me has a couple good guy's and I try to stay with them. I have had their summer job kids screw up stuff so bad I can't believe it. I asked for a u-joint for the front axle and Honda boy ask's me the normal usless questions of engine size 2 or 4wd hay do you think at all it's for the front...it's a truck....you figure it out. Then tells me it's dealer only......YEAH RIGHT....lets try this again Junior......I need a U-JOINT for a 10 bolt GM axle...297 size please. "Can't get it." I flip the monitor around and he's managed to put a S10 blazer in as a 79 with a 350. and trying to pull up a Half shaft. Junior...see that stack of little black boxes that say Brute force on them?...find the one that says 297 on the end and give it to me. he comes back and say there isn't one....My mistake...Brute force have a few other digits. I walk behind the counter...grab a 297....Point out to Junior on how to decipher that the first couple digits after the dash is the size...see the "297" part. Thank god he's gone. Jim (manager) finnaly sent him on his way.

14. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

i went to the local autozone to buy brake pads for a 85 k5 blazer . Itold the lady ths exact statement and then she asked is this a ford or chevy,I looked at her like she was crazy of course its a chevy what kind of people do they hirer, at least know the brand of trucks that have been around awhile ... love the old guys usually know what there talking about

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm pretty lucky with the AutoZone here in town. All of the guys in there know me buy name and put up with my odd requests without a so much as a snort. I went in the other day to get an alternator...I wanted to get one that put out more than the 63 amps that the stock one does...I gave them a couple different applications, '83 K20 with a 6.2, and 87 K30 with a 454. 70 somethin amps for the K20, and 90 somethin amps for the K30. If I had tried this at the Kragen accross the road, Thier brains would have fried. Plus they always give me a discount when I buy bigger stuff. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

By the way, I had to go with the damn 63 amp stock alternator...the 90 amp one was twice as much at $99.99. I'll get one soon enuff though. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Try an '88 corsica with air conditioning from the junkyard. 94 or 108 amps and you can get new internals anywhere. Mine was like $30.

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Ever tried buying parts for an antique truck? Say a 1954 International COE or 1966 GMC with 351 V6 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Let me tell you... You WILL learn where the good parts guys work quickly! Just last night I walked into a Shucks (kragen) and picked up a distributor for my 65 Dodge Dart (74 motor but still has a points dist) that was easy since I had to ask for a dist for a '71. Then I ask for a speedo for the same car and they cant find a book to cover it... The computer doesnt go past 1967 (same year they changed the speedo cable).

18. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Obscure antique parts? I've got a bell housing to a model T sitting in my garage, pedals are attached, and I don't even know anybody with a model T. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

19. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

We are lucky, we have a First Choice Automotive in Grapevine that is really cool. The guys there will go through all sorts of problems to find what I need. We have spent hours going through radiator hoses to find one with the right bends to fut a Vortec V6 in a 73 postal Jeep with the stock radiator (the old postal one) that has been recored and the neck moved to the other side. Or the right master cylindar that will give me better braking inmy rig. I think that in the end we used a 70 cutlas maters cylinder. The are always good to us.

20. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

man i feel lucky, theres an oreillys by my house i always go to, they all know me there, and i always get the right part and sometimes even a discount. however 4WPW is a different story, i went down there cause they gave me the wrong part for the third time and the guy was like when u gonna bring by the truck? i was like, the day u give me the right part. dumbsh!t

phill