Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb and dumber

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Jun 30, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ever get an email from someone you don't know? Ever open it anyways?

Well I did and I got my first 'worm' in almost 5 years./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

It did two things that made it very obvious in the first few minutes. Number one is it fragged my internet connection (I'm on cable) Apparently it does this so if the computer is on dial up it doesn't start connecting right away. If I wasn't an internet whore I might not have noticed this part.

The second thing it did was frag my Zone alarm. Gone from the task bar instantly and nothing I did could get it to open/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I shut my computer down, physically disconnected the cable and restarted it to let AVG do a boot sector scan. It found I-worm/bugbear./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Fortuantely my neighbor was home so I jumped on his computer and went to the Symantec site and downloaded the fix onto a floppy...then went home and fixed it.

What a pain in the ass!!

All better now...

Rene

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ever get an email from someone you don't know? Ever open it anyways?

Well I did and I got my first 'worm' in almost 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

What ISP do you use? That is what I like about AOL, I've never had a virus unload on me, though I have received them.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif glad you got it fixed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

We use Shaw Cable which is about the only choice here if you want cable. The 'dumber' part of this is that I stopped an update download yesterday from AVG anti-virus. The update caught the worm.../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif and prolly would have quarantined that email.

Live and learn I suppose./forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Rene

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You know whats weird? I've got a virus on my computer right now that will not allow my Norton to scan at all. If I click to scan for viruses, a window immediately pops up reading "An unhandled exception has occurred...The error was: Unknown (OxC0000005)" in a window that is titled "Norton Integrator". Then you wait a few more seconds and another window pops up "No viruses were detected in the scan".

If I double click on the Norton icon, a window pops up saying "Nmain has caused an error in NMAIN.EXE. Nmain will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer."

I've tried restarting, etc., and nothing happens except for the same message and same thing from the scan.

Anybody know what to do here? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

A virus did the same thing to my Norton system. I had to go to the norton site and download the updated version. I tried restarting the computer, and running only that program on boot up, but installling the new version was the only thing that worked for me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. tRustyK5

I went to www.symantec.com on a friends computer. The 'worm' I had did something very similar. It disabled my anti-virus and my firewall...first thing it did.

Symantec has tools you can use to scan your computer, who knows what it will find? It's best to get it fixed as fast as possible in case is a very malicious or damaging virus or worm.

I was fortunate...from the time I opened the email til I knew I had a problem and shut it down was about 3 minutes.

Rene

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

also if that don't work uninstall Norton and then re install it